Home Forum Ask A Member The mystererious motor goop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Over the years I have run into 4 or 5 motors that have been covered in a “goop.”

The stuff has the consistency of glue and it’s always the powerhead and components some prior owner has sprayed them down with to protect from corrosion. It doesnt wipe off easily but it does a good job of keeping everything loose and protecting from salt and corrosion.

What is this stuff? I wiped some off the exhaust bypass cover to show the difference. This 1983 70hp Johnson was a lightly used salt motor and you wouldn’t have known it had lived its life on the back of a Boston whaler on the ocean year after year, unless you saw the few barnacles on the trim pin holes. Everything else on the motor came apart like butter.

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Looks to me like a marine corrosion inhibitor spray, like those manufactured by CRC or Corrosion X. I use this stuff on my boat trailer hubs in the salt and it leaves that same brown gooey appearance. They do work good at keeping the salt demon away.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

mercury was anti corrosion spray.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

BRP still makes one by the same name as Merc. #777193 Anti Corrosion Spray. Stuff is almost like a light parrifin wax when it dries. Messy!

Dan in TN

george-emmanuel
            Participant

US Member

Yep, –just like Dan says. I’ve use that stuff on the galvanized tank on my Chris Craft in lieu of painting it like the factory did..I also sprayed another Chris Craft engine I did 20 years ago after I painted it. Engine still looks perfect!

lyks2tinkr
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I thought they called it Cosmoline.
                Used it in industrial machine shops to coat the metal from corrosion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.