Home Forum Ask A Member Tiller Rope

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    whirlwind
    Participant

I had my father’s 1940 Century Whirlwind restored and need to figure out some of the details to complete the project. The tiller rope (correct term?) was still on the boat when I pulled it out of the barn but being over 60 years old and not completely protected by the elements, it’s a little worn. In other words, I would depend on it to do its job for very long. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a source for a replacement. See the picture. It was obviously red when new and it appears to have some sort of wire running through it because it holds it’s shape when you bend it. Does this look or sound familiar to anybody? Please let me know. Thank you very much for your help.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

Yes but the newer stuff is much better I would use that.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

If you care about originality, that stuff is still made, though we quit using it many moons ago. https://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-core-rope/=1bxegkt

Better is the clear plastic-covered stuff. You can get that anywhere, like Home Depot, Lowes. Ace Hardware, etc

whirlwind
          Participant

Awesome! I’m probably going to go the original route. Your help is very much appreciated!

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Interesting, I didn’t know that they still made the wire core cotton rope. However the McMaster listing does not specify the wire material, got to assume hat it is steel. If remember correctly the old stuff had a rust proof bronze wire core.

Joe B

amuller
              Participant
                quote JoeCB:

Interesting, I didn’t know that they still made the wire core cotton rope. However the McMaster listing does not specify the wire material, got to assume hat it is steel. If remember correctly the old stuff had a rust proof bronze wire core.

Joe B

That was my thought too. What’s the wire core made of? High quality clothesline used to have a bronze core and didn’t stretch much if any.

Some very stretch-resistant synthetic lines are made for sailboat running rigging. I wonder how these would do as tiller rope?

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Non stretch rope is made of Dacron. How do I know? A while ago I bought a real nice 50 Ft of double braded 1/2 " line that I thought was nylon.. . it was going to be my new anchor line. I took it to the marine shop to ask about an eye splice and thimble. The guy says , this is not what you want for anchor line, no stretch and no give, not good for anchor holding. Nylon is what you need for an anchor line.

Joe B

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.