Home Forum Ask A Member Tillotson AJ29A x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    squierka39
    Participant

US Member

I have a Tillotson carb marked AJ29A x, the A after 29 matches but the x is lowercase. Anyone know what the x might be for? I think AJ29 is for Mercury KF7. What do you guys think?

Mumbles
      Participant

I don’t have a clue what the X stands for but you are correct in thinking the carb is from a ’49 – ’50 Merc 10 horse KF7.

http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/tillotson_aj.html

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

x I think was a mod from the factory. never was a good carb either way was changed to an AJ 32.

mercuryman
          Participant

I have the AJ29Ax on a early model KG4. I tried a AJ 32 on my KG4 ran poorly.

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

Thanks for the responses. I found an old post on another board that suggested the x meant it was rebuilt by the factory. It doesn’t look like anything special, just an AJ29A .

20mercman
              Participant

US Member

I have an AJ-29A on my 1947 KE-7. The parts list indicates this as the service replacement for the AJ-19A that was original on the KE-7. This is the only one I have yet had on the water, so I really can’t compare it to the original AJ-19A on the KE-7, but it does have a larger bore than the AJ-19A. On my KE-7, it performs wonderfully! This is a really fun motor, and is on my "If I could only have X number of motors." list. I have replaced the AJ-19A with the AJ-29A on one other of my KE-7’s, and my third KE-7 will have the original AJ-19A. Unfortunately this year was so busy with my daughter and other distractions, that I didn’t get as far with the restorations as I had hoped. I also have two KF-7’s with the AJ-29A carburetor. This carburetor is again a bit smaller bore than the AJ-32A that was used on the Hurricane blocks vs. the Lightning blocks. (The porting is different, and 8 reeds vs. 4 reeds), so they can use the larger bore. I don’t know how an AJ-32A would do on a regular Lightning block, as it may be too much. I tend to think it would be fine, as the KG-4 used them and they were less displacement.

I really need to get these motors finished and run them to have a good comparison to go with. Like I said, in my experience, the AJ-29A has been a great success for me. I have a NOS body, but it needs everything. I would not pass on one at a swap meet to put on my shelf.

Steve

squierka39
                Participant

US Member

20mercman, I have a KF-7 with the AJ32A on it. It runs fine, I use it on a mini max so it’s usually a full throttle. The bore is huge compared to the opening on the block so I’m not sure it’s any better than the original 29. It came to me with the 32 so I can’t really compare. I do have a KE with its original carb and it runs great too. Maybe someday I’ll swap the 29 on them and see what happens.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.