Home Forum Ask A Member TN27 flywheel #580107 no timing marks ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have timed several versions like qd fr jw 9,5 4hp OMC with the VOM method or just the lobe high point with good results

this new to me TN27 has no bar marks on the edge of the flywheel to match the mag plate markings .

I can adjust the points at .020 but curious as to why no flywheel marks… am I missing something here aside from the markings 🙂

along with the lobe high point I can confirm the piston high point with my chop stick ok but would have preferred the VOM/markings method now that I am familiar with it

AM i limited to eye balling this one ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I have seen motors with marks on the flywheel, OMC put the marks there and basically did away with the Timing tool, your motor however is old enough it needs the timing tool to use the marks on the mag plate. Do you use the Timing tool? The marks on the mag plate mean nothing unless you use the timing tool…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

no I do not have the tool (double pointed one) but …..I have IMHO, successfully adjusted several motors with neither the tool or the VOM just by going to the high point of the lobe and opening up the points .020… motors have run fine and idled fine this way

Attachments:

david-bartlett
          Participant
            quote crosbyman:

no I do not have the tool (double pointed one) but …..I have IMHO, successfully adjusted several motors with neither the tool or the VOM just by going to the high point of the lobe and opening up the points .020… motors have run fine and idled fine this way

I thought the same thing until I tried the timing tool. No putting the Genie back in the bottle after that first time.

JMHO

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I agree it would ne nice but with results I have had … manually the expense isn’t really justified

thanks for your comments

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Couple of things to note, one, the process you use was replaced by the timing tool as it was determined to be a far better approach to setting the timing. Also the tool that works for your motor, also works for motors between the 5-20 hp range including the souped up "25"hp which were 20 hp blocks. After a period of time OMC started incorporating the timing marks on the flywheel simulating the timing tool, to match up with the marks on the plate so one would not have to remove the flywheel at all to set the timing correctly.

frankr
                Participant

US Member
                  quote Richard A. White:

Couple of things to note, one, the process you use was replaced by the timing tool as it was determined to be a far better approach to setting the timing. Also the tool that works for your motor, also works for motors between the 5-20 hp range including the souped up "25"hp which were 20 hp blocks. After a period of time OMC started incorporating the timing marks on the flywheel simulating the timing tool, to match up with the marks on the plate so one would not have to remove the flywheel at all to set the timing correctly.

Well,yes and no. Fist, the flywheel would need to have the inspection hole to access the points. Secondly, if you have ever tried using a light or meter with the flywheel in place, you found that the magnets passing the coil create a voltage that interferes with what you are trying to do. Thirdly, if you are speaking of doing as so many do, that is use the flywheel as a timing fixture, yes that works, but is somewhat bothersome as you have to lift the flywheel off to make every little tweak. Not a big deal, but you will often disturb the position as you do so.

I no longer have a dog in the fight, after making timing fixtures for years, and now turned it over to Richard. But let me say that once you have used the timing fixtures and learned how to do it, you won’t go back to the old way. The timing fixture makes the process fast, easy, and accurate. Fast, easy, and accurate—that is why the pros use them. Yes, there is the matter of initial cost, but isn’t that true of all the tools in your box?

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok … how much ? to ship it to Montreal h4h 2c4 zip code

I know ……you guys don’t like my chop stick…tool 😆

RICHARD A. WHITE
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Crosbyman, I sent you a PM but I will post it here so others may see it as well.

The tool is $40 I can ship a single tool for $9, if you want 2 tools, i.e. the coil locating ring, or another tool, the weight changes enough to get the cost bumped up to $15.50 for shipping

This is in US funds

Thanks

Richard

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.