Home Forum Ask A Member Trailer question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

Hey guys.

Disassembled the trailer to derust as much as possible and give it a partial paint job. Noticed the suspension component was a little messed up.

The left side u-bolt that holds the axle to the leaf had somehow come loose enough for the little locating pin to slip out of its hole and the axle had canted slightly so I was towing her doglegged.

I had the bolts tight enough that I started to yield the plate across the top some, so I’m not sure how it could have shaken loose enough to shift over.

Just want to make sure there are no obsolete parts here or anything. I’d like to get it fixed properly.

I have it tight enough to roll around the yard for now, in case I need to take it apart to rebuild anything.

http://imgur.com/xruceXy
      http://imgur.com/5x80sCL

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have never even seen a trailer with the axle held to the spring pack with a single crossed U-bolt. If it were mine, I believe I’d make 4-hole plates for each pack and use 2 U-bolts on each one since it’s already that far apart.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

mr-asa
        Participant
          quote Fisherman6:

I have never even seen a trailer with the axle held to the spring pack with a single crossed U-bolt. If it were mine, I believe I’d make 4-hole plates for each pack and use 2 U-bolts on each one since it’s already that far apart.
          -Ben

I thought that was a little weird when I first started messing with it, but didn’t think too much of it. Figured it was a thing you got with little trailers.

auldscott
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I can’t tell for sure from the pics, but what are the chances the locating pin has sheared off flush with the axle?

If it has sheared off, the additional clamping force from two U-bults per side will help, but an intact pin should hold the alignment even with the single U-bolt. That is a light trailer.

amuller
            Participant

A single diagonal U-bolt seems a common setup on light trailers, and should be adequate if properly assembled.

In the second pic, the U-bolt strap is not drawn down against the spring, and both nuts appear to be loose. If it was used that way it seems possible that the locating nubbin was worn down or sheared off. Have you taken it apart to look?

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve sheared the center bearing locating pin from loose hardware. Had to epoxy a new pin in place. 20hp Merc slanter

mr-asa
                Participant

I’ve disassembled it partially to get it back into place and everything is there and I haven’t torqued it down yet as its not attached to the frame.

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Go to a spring place for cars. They have replacement locating pins

mr-asa
                    Participant

The pin is intact. It holds the two leafs together

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.