Home Forum Ask A Member Translucent tubing vs rubber hose?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

Wondering what people think about using vinyl and polyurethane tubing for fuel lines.

I know the regular vinyl tube hardens as the gas leaches out the plasticizer, but the fuel line grade (often yellowish or greenish) is supposed to last better. And some say the polyurethane stuff is good.

Obviously it won’t look "original" but I’m tempted to try it more as there’s been so much trouble with rubber hose and modern fuels. Plus being able to see what’s going on seems advantageous.

Thoughts?

auldscott
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve used it in many small motor mechanical restorations and it does hold up. However, it will not take much of a bend without kinking. You might be able to find small diameter rubber or composite fuel line that meets modern fuel requirements. Check with your motor dealer.

If you use the polyurethane tubing and have trouble with kinking, you can push a long, soft spring (think ballpoint pen spring) into it, or slip a spring over it, to prevent kinking.

I have found that 7" or larger zip ties do not make a good seal; it is better to use twisted wire (improvised) or the proper size full circle clamp. I haven’t tried 4" zip ties.

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

In all honesty, if I come across an outboard with that stuff on it, I replace it with the black gates hose. I just don’t like it, mainly because it seems to harden with age. As far as using tie wraps on hose, there are specially made one for clamping fuel hose. These are regular wire ties with special built in "hook" that wraps around the hose. McMaster car has them. Mercury and BRP also offers them.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

Sorry I typed this on my smart phone…

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Don’t be sorry – it looks just like regular typing to me . . . 😆
              \

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I sometimes fix chain saws and weed whackers that coworkers come crying to me about. The number one problem is that the supposed fuel-compatible, greenish hose has become brittle and has broken in a number of pieces. That stuff isn’t cheap, either; so if you think you’re going to SAVE money, think again. I’m with Jerry and think that rubber fuel hose is actually better. If you can find it, Yamaha’s fuel hose is the best stuff going. I hate to admit it but it’s almost as good as their ignition systems, which are 99.9999999999999% perfect.

And Jerry, congrats on your one thousandth post!

Long live American manufacturing!

amuller
                Participant

Thanks for the feedback. One can always count on diverse opinions here (!).

As for zip ties, I don’t think the regular ones pull down well at the seam. But little gear clamps don’t either–they go into a "D" shape. Can use special hose clamp zip ties or put a little piece of aluminum sheet, etc, under the joint. In the end, there’s a lot to be said for old-fashioned metal spring clamps. JMO.

PugetSoundBoater
                  Participant

Tygon is the brand name for the plastic hose that seems to be the most common hose used on chainsaws,weedeaters etc.
                    I repaired 2 used weedeaters and a leaf blower given to me that the hoses were cracked on. That is all that was wrong with them.
                    In this US Plastics/Tygon attachment, there is no mention of being compatible with Ethanol fuel, which these days is a must.
                    So it seems like this type of hose needs replacing every few years, thats the way it is.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                    Robbie Robertson

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

The Tygon hose is ethanol resistant. It has to be because it is used on chainsaws, etc. That said, I just don’t like to see it on outboards—"just because". Yeah, I use it on my chainsaws and weedeater because they use such tiny hose there is no alternative.

I don’t like that plastic spark plug wire that was a fad in past years either. "Just because"

Mumbles
                      Participant

Tygon is the way to go and I use it if I don’t have any proper fuel line on hand. Green Line also makes fuel and oil rated clear tubing which works great. To cinch the ends down, you want the tie straps with the curved ends on them. 320107 is the OMC/BRP P/N but here’s a list of other manufacturers part numbers.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.