Home Forum Ask A Member Transom Wood

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    slim60
    Participant

I have a ’53 Alumacraft that needs the rotted wood replaced. What kind of wood was used originally?

opposedtwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

White oak on the inside and plywood on the outside. Can’t recall what thickness the plywood is but others will know. I believe it should be replaced with marine grade plywood.

What model is it? Thickness may depend on that.

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m replacing mine right now in my 14 foot Alumacraft. I think mine is an FD, but no number so I’m not certain. The thickness of my inside board is 1.06" it’s supposedly a 5/4 white oak board but I had my rough sawn board planed to 1.15" and it’s still too thick to go under the cap and the Aqueduct braces won’t fit yet. I didn’t have my original board out yet whenot I bought the replacement. They may vary a little by Model. I have a Flying C that will be getting replaced at some point too, but not yet. 3/8 Marine plywood on the outside of bother of my Alumacrafts. My wood guy didn’t have any 5/4 white oak either so I’m going back in with hickory in the FD.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

The other thing that Alumacraft did was to ad a layer of cork under each board, [inside and out] to cut down vibration, and for sealing. If done correctly, you won’t need any sealer around the fasteners.

oopzdoo
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have been using Mahogany deck boards bought at my local lumber yard. It is around 5/4 by 5 1/2 inches and fits in nicely. I have used I/2 inch cdx on the outside. I use polyurethane on the board and sealer and good oil base deck paint on the plywood. Looks good and has plenty of strength. Don’t be afraid, the cost for the mahogany is very reasonable. And the job looks good for years. Just my .02 worth.
              Dave in N.H.

vixbit
              Participant

Marine plywood does not have any voids in the inner plys plus the glue is waterproof. Cdx plywood will have voids in the inner plys and the glue is water resistant not water proof. For my money if you are going to take the time to replace it use the correct material and it will last another 50 years.

Randy in Tampa
                Participant

I agree in using nothing but marine grade when using plywood on my boats 😎

quote vixbit:

Marine plywood does not have any voids in the inner plys plus the glue is waterproof. Cdx plywood will have voids in the inner plys and the glue is water resistant not water proof. For my money if you are going to take the time to replace it use the correct material and it will last another 50 years.
                  crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’ve used 2 …sandwiched 2 layers (2×3/4") of a special 7-8 ply water proofed plywood for porches I pre coated all inside and outside surfaces before fitting it in .. never had any problems after with a Merc Classic 50 in the back

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

slim60
                    Participant

The tag is hard to read but looks like an E. 12 feet with 3 flotation seats. 1/2" outer and 1" inner boards. White oak and marine grade plywood is what I’ll use. Thanks…Slim

The Boat House
                      Participant
                        quote crosbyman:

I’ve used 2 …sandwiched 2 layers (2×3/4″) of a special 7-8 ply water proofed plywood for porches I pre coated all inside and outside surfaces before fitting it in .. never had any problems after with a Merc Classic 50 in the back

What would some sources to finding some of that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.