Home Forum Ask A Member Two new finds

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Went to an estate sale yesterday. Guy had about 15 motors for sale. Picked out 2 and got a reasonable bundled deal on them. The little johnson MD 38 (1938) is missing the top recoil, but when I got it home, I discovered it had spark. I added some gas and it satrted on the first pull! I’m always amazed at the super old johnsons I have found that start after you add a little gas. They were just so well made!

The other motor is a mercury K3 (1940). Never had the opportunity to buy one before so I figured what the heck. It is stuck so I won’t be able to see the issues until I get it freed up. Looks pretty decent but missing a gas cap. Threads on the outside? Strange….any idea if the caps are hard to find?

Attachments:

mercuryman
      Participant

I don’t recall seeing a Mercury tank with external threads . Ask Tom Thuerwachter Vintage Mercury group leader
        about the motor.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

I think that tank is the rare tin tank that rusted so they made the cast tank after that.

alanp
          Participant

US Member

I have one in the garage. It is a chromed tank.
            Alan

Attachments:

49morphew
            Participant

US Member

Nice find with the Mercury Scott. That’s the first year Mercury Streamliner. Not very common. Some tanks were tern plated with copper over steel to be nickel plated. Some were plain sheetmetal and painted dull aluminum. I’ll add some pics of my KB 2. Its the same motor only a year later. Mine was painted dull aluminum originally even though it was copper plated. The male threads on the gas tank are correct. Mercuryman is correct about Tom T. In Fond du Lac. He reproduced the lower front and rear cowling for mine like 15 years ago. He also has decals. Not sure about gas caps….

49morphew
              Participant

US Member
                49morphew
                Participant

US Member

Very nice example Alan.

mercuryman
                  Participant

I forgot I had a K1 square steel tank cap should fir your tank OD tank thread 1.23 inch.

If interested contact Birney blin10@embarqmail.com

Attachments:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.