Home Forum Ask A Member Type C Gear Lube

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Does anyone know what the viscosity is for this stuff? During my travels in marina clearouts, I acquire things which are NOS. The next of kin, or bank usually, is more than happy to give away old spray paint and oil so as to avoid paying for disposal of the stuff.

Well, I acquired a case of the old electric shift gear lube, "type C". I can’t find anything on the labels about viscosity and was wondering if this can be used on non-electric shift motors? What made this so special for electric shift motors (which for some reason, seem to be coming in on a lot of customer’s boats this season….)

Thanks

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Type C is fine for smaller mechanical shift outboards, it was used in all gearcases back in the day. Type C is definitely a lighter viscosity than 90W gear lube or the conventional OMC/Merc lubes used in today’s outboards. I don’t know how much type C you acquired, but you may want to save for electric shift motors that might come your way….

rmhxruss
        Participant

Type "C" = ATF

johnyrude200
          Participant

OK, so would this be usable with typical outboards? When I get really old motors, sometimes the oil is almost the consistency of water. The newer gear lube isn’t this viscus.

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

Type C gear Lube is only for OMC electric shift stern drives and Johnson Evinrude electric shift gearcases… At least that’s what it says on the back of one of my old antique tubes of this stuff. Type C is extremely thin, highly filtered oil. I would stick with 90 wt gear lube in all our old clutch dog shift gearcases.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.