Home Forum Ask A Member Unburned Fuel collection

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

There are reed valves, which I removed for pictures sorry. They screw on the other side of those filters. Allow fuel/oil out, but nothing in.Not a dumb question at all!

jim-moffatt
      Participant

US Member

The tubes leading to the reeds are of a precise diameter to allow just so much to escape. Since they are the same diameter both crankcases leak equally.

bill-mcnamara
        Participant

Canada Member

Wayne,
          Yes, one motor can shut down and tilted up while underway with this set up.
          I just lucked out while looking through some of my sailboat gear and found this old bronze & stainless turnbuckle with rotating joints at each end rather than ridged eyes or forks.
          Very pleased about how that worked out.
          Pays to keep old junk around around sometimes huh?

bill-mcnamara
          Participant

Canada Member

amuller,
            Sorry no experience with the V-4’s…..yet.
            One 60 hp waiting in my barn for it’s wake-up call though!

bill-mcnamara
            Participant

Canada Member

Thanks to all for the interesting input and experiences,Bill.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Actually, the pressure loss is very small, and happens whether the conversion is made or not. The only difference is where it goes

jeffersonsharp
                Participant

Boy, I like the idea of converting to fuel pump and using the pressure line as a fuel return line to the tank. This is testing my resolve to keep my engines as original as possible.

Anonymous

Frank, I was trying to figure who you were replying to about pressure drop.

Also, anyone heard of doing this conversion to a green tank Mercury?

Kirk

dockbuster1
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

IN 1967 the government did testing in FLA a 40 hp OMC was used it had 40 % plus unburned fuel loss overboard the US gvt passed a law as a result of the testing requiring the outboard mfg to recirculate unburned fuel no overboard dump by 1969 so anything prior dumps fuel that can be recovered I did a test on a 58 fat fifty I had heard that a 6 gal tank was gone in 20 mins at idle or WOT at 1500 by my calculations it was true I plugged off the overboard dump and ran the scavenge into a container I calculated a very rough 55% unburned fuel loss

amuller
                      Participant

There is loss from the crankcase drains, and there is loss from the cylinders themselves–mixture mixing with exhaust. Are we talking both here, or only the drains?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.