Home Forum Ask A Member Upper crank case seal differences..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member

As many of you know I am in the process of making Classic OMC repair tools.

Found an interesting one. I have the power head off of a 1976 15 hp Evinrude Model #15604A
      It has currently an upper crank case seal with the number 321830 very easily read. I also have in my hand an OMC package with the same number on it…321830. this package was sealed when I received it.

BOTH seals have the same OD and will fit within the crank case, they even have the same ID meaning they both seal against the crank shaft.
      Now the issue, the seal puller works by grabbing the inner most part of the steel part of the seal..

The 2 seals in front of me do NOT have the same ID when measuring at the ID of the steel part of the seal.
      The one marked 321830 measures 1.028 and was actually in the engine
      The one in the unopened package marked 321830 measures .950

The packaged seal has the correct part number on the outside but the seal inside had no number on it anywhere that I can find but has the letter "A"

Both seals will seal the crank in this motor and I would assume the 9.9 as well, but making a puller to pull the smaller bore, will have issues trying to pull the larger bore seal..

Can someone shed some light here?

Thoughts?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Some one in accounting found a better price on the seal and never consulted engineering. (How OMC went bankrupt.) . . . 😆

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years
          quote Garry in Tampa:

Some one in accounting found a better price on the seal and never consulted engineering. (How OMC went bankrupt.) . . . 😆

You got that right, another sad case of "the tail wagging the dog"…..

amuller
          Participant

The ID of the steel part might not have been a spec given to the purchasing people….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.