Home Forum Ask A Member Using evaporust to clean fuel tank

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    obnut
    Participant

I have a 1957 Johnson ad11 that has a none pressurized fuel tank. Has anyone used the product Evaporust to clean rust out of the tank? If so how well does it work?

jim-moffatt
      Participant

US Member

It cleans rust but not sludge. You should first make sure all old oil/gas is removed then use the evaporust. It needs to be at 70 deg or higher t o work well.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

stones and vibration are pretty good apparently….with a good shake

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

mike-stroz
          Participant

Those water based rust removers work really well if you clan the oil and gas out pretty thoroughly first. I like Metal Rescue myself.

jerryswiss
            Participant

I am working on a small tank right now and first I sand blasted it, which works really well on the bottom and sides, but not the top of the tank. Then I filled it up with nuts and bolts and turned it upside down and shook it around. Then wrapped sandpaper around a finger and tried to get the inside top of the tank as best I could.

To neutralize the rust I use this water-based stuff I get at Wal-Mart called Krud Kutter, comes in an 8 oz bottle, really cheap. I have used this stuff for years, it works great.

amuller
              Participant

I agree that you have to get the organic sludge out first, so the rust treatments can get to the tank itself.

obnut
                Participant

Thanks for the info. Tank is empty and all I see is rust.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well you have the option of electrolysis… check the web for the proper mixture + some DC current and the rust will be lifted away

btw… if you are running non pressurized…have you considered getting a new tank 😉

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.