Home Forum Ask A Member Water stops spitting when engine warms up? 1956 Javelin 30hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    minger1016
    Participant

Hello.

I am for the most part a newbie with the old motors except for the basics. I have run across a problem with my 1956 Johnson Javelin 30 hp motor that I cannot solve. On cold start up the engine spits out water out of the exhaust port, but once the engine warms up the water stops. If you restart when warm it still does not come out and the engine block gets hot to the touch. When cool, the water comes out again.

I thought maybe a thermostat or something, but I can’t seem to locate one. Could that be the problem and if so, is there a thermostat on this year/model?

Thank you for your help.
      Mike

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

No thermostat on that motor. Did you replace the impeller?

minger1016
        Participant

Thank you for your reply.
          yes I replaced the impeller a few weeks ago when this started happening.
          Thanks.
          Mike

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The first thing that comes to mind is a plugged up cooling system. However, that would extremely unusual on that model.
            Where are you running this thing, on a boat on the lake, or in a bucket, or where?

minger1016
            Participant

Hello. Thank you for your reply.

I run it on the Erie Canal. (Pic attached)

It started happening there so I replaced the impeller and am now testing with ears and it doing the same thing.

Thanks.

Attachments:

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

drop the LU and spin the shaft to see if water is pumped properly by the impeller

if ok ….. must be clogged above was the old impeller chewed up … maybe parts went up in the engine circulation
                the fact that water does come out at the beginning may indicate a loose piece of something (rubber) flopping around inside the water circuit

try hosing some water up the water tube ………. while the LU is down for the above impeller test .

see if water makes it way out if not it must be plugged up somewhere inside the head

it may be a wild shot but try to pressurize hose water backwards (worse case would be to pull the head and back flush the PH with a water hose )

run a piece of stiff wire up the water tube with the end shape as a hook …. maybe you can grab something that is blocking the upper end of the water tube

you could ….try a high pressure washer to blast the water circuit … maybe the clog will work itself out if pushed enough

all suggestions… up to you now

btw… did you look BELOW the water pump housing….for clogs , rubber parts which may have dropped below in the cavity . Year ago my Merc 50 drove me nuts till we found some rubber part " below the wp housing. never did figure out how it got down there

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

minger1016
                Participant

Thank you. I will try those suggestions this weekend and let you know if I can find anything.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Running on muffs is not a valid water pump test.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

use a large bucket … filled with water 😆

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

dan-in-tn
                      Participant

US Member

I wonder if when the motor warms up the exhaust cover (or baffle is warped) leaks exhaust into the water supply causing the pressure to overcome the pump? Just another suggestion. What shape are the pump housing & plate in? Is it pumping plenty of water to begin with? Just a few suggestions.

Dan in TN

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.