Home Forum Ask A Member water temp gauge kit for 57 Johnson?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    minger1016
    Participant

Hello.

I was researching the possibility of adding a water temperature gauge for my 1957 Johnson 30hp and 18hp. I saw a video where they screwed a sensor into the waterjacket housing of a Johnson outboard that apparently had a "blind" threaded hole with the correct size for a sensor, but that was for a newer motor. I can’t find any information for installing this on older outboards. Is there a way to do it on these older motors? Thank you in advance.

Mike

frankr
      Participant

US Member

There are gauge kits that use a sensor that goes under a head bolt. No drilling required. Research that.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you could set up a wireless BBQ thermometer probe 💡 :geek:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

seaflash
          Participant

Water Temperature Gauge = No.

Warning Light for Engine Overheating = Yes

Easy installation = Yes

Where to Buy? = Check auction site.

dan-in-tn
            Participant

US Member

I bought a Heat Chek (kit like pictured) off eBay. My 1957 EV Lark had one on it & I wanted a kit to see what it was about. You can look on MarineEngine.com in the J/E Accessories Parts book section. Starting in 1972 they had one kind of sensor (still available) & by 1976 had changed to the other style which is kinda universal. Has a bracket that mounts the sensor up against the head/block depending on application.
              The problem comes with the gauges. They are too slow to react to save your motor in most cases. That & unless you drive with one eye on them all the time you don’t notice it climbing. An overheat is usually a quick thing & can be catastrophic! That is why later model engines have gone to horns & speed limiting systems to get the operators attention. JMHO

Dan in TN

minger1016
              Participant

Thank you all for your help. I will check out those options.

Mike

bobw
                Participant

US Member

Guess I’ve always had a little different view on the modern-day overheat horn/limiting systems. By the time those go off, your motor is already in overheat mode. I’ve always relied on a gauge to help monitor engine temp and on the few occasions I’ve come close to an overheat condition I saw the gauge suddenly start to climb and got it shut down before the horn went off. I usually take a glance every few minutes at both the water pressure and temp gauges which are side-by-side on my console. I’ve found the modern BRP temp gauges and sending units to be pretty accurate by verifying engine temperature with an infrared temp gun.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.