Home Forum Ask A Member waterwitch spark plug wire soldering

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    keplerfan
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a waterwitch that had a problem with a chronic misfire. I re twisted the spark wire where it connects to the coil and the misfire stopped. I bought a new wire but I don’t know the best way to attach it to the coil. should i solder it? i just dont want to damage the coil. any thoughts?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

IF you solder it , tin the coil and wire first don’t need much heat for that. the assemble them and just heat till solder just melts no more. hope this helps. mercury said just twist the wire.

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dave has it correct! Old windings are touchy to heat. Not only tin the tab but very careful not to get too hot 😈 Tin the wire first 2, & use flux please,

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Not having a clue how the wire is attached to the coil on a Waterwitch, IF it is securely twisted through a tab or something, no solder is necessary. You are dealing with high voltage here, not nearly as critical as low voltage.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank is correct, save that coil,

keplerfan
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

can the heat blow the coil if I heat it to much? perhaps the problem was just a dirty connection?

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Heat will destroy the secondary windings, Get a pic of the connection for us to see please,

keplerfan
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    frankr
                    Participant

US Member

That will be just fine as is. I don’t know why it worked after you twisted it and not before. But there are thousands of motors out there with merely twisted spark plug wire connections, and no problem

BTW, what’s with the tape? Maybe something hiding under that?

keplerfan
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is a small ding under the tape. I put it there to see if it was arching in that area but it is not.
                        Thanx for your advice, all. I will leave it twisted and test t again.
                        Neil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.