Home Forum Ask A Member Weird JW compression test.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
      cajuncook1
      Participant
        quote Tubs:

Crank shaft seals?
        What is the motor were working on?

Tubs, based on the title of the post, I think he is working on a Johnson JW 3hp. Year, not sure. Love working on those little rascals.

Cajun

stanley
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes a JW13.Simple reliable and easy to work on.I’ve rebuilt 3 others with no problems other than the usual.This one is a stumper.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Exhaust obstructions are something to consider. Especially the above-water exhaust relief ports. Those have a profound influence on starting and idle. That is one reason why a worn out motor may start on the stand but not in the water.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

I had a Lightwin 3 that drove me crazy for way too long. Compression was acceptable but hard start, poor idle and less than normal power. Finally, I discovered the pistons were installed backwards by some previous owner.

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just had a 3 hp Lightwin that had some binding in the gear case. I noticed it before ever trying to start it; however, I was just thinking that if one of your 3s had more mechanical binding somewhere than the other, it could result in no/bad idle, hard start and even lower compression with an electric drill. Just speculating that maybe you’re stronger than the drill, when pulling by hand, giving the slightly higher number? Dunno, just a thought.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.