Home Forum Ask A Member West Bend 40hp outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    retiredoz
    Participant

US Member

I’ll leave it up to experts to explain this, but my thought is that reversing polarity simply reverses the rotation of the starter motor. As long as the Bendix turns the right way, doesn’t matter all that much ?

Anonymous

Wiscoboater, I might be able to help you out with a starter, will have to check out my source this week to see if I have one. You can give me a call @ 4 4 Zero – two five 5 – Five 5 two 2. Just out of curiosity what’s your connection with Wisco ?

Gary

wiscoboater
        Participant

Well…I purchased a manual for the motor off Ebay. The manual states it covers ALL Sears Elgin, McCullogh & West Bend from 1960 to 1969, 3.5 t0 75hp. All I can find in it for the 1961 40 is the gear case break down. My motor has a Tillotson carb on it. The manual only covers Walbro and Marvel-Schebler carbs. It does not even mention the Tillotson. Can anyone direct me to the proper manual for this motor?

retiredoz
          Participant

US Member

I have an OUTBOARD MOTOR SERVICE MANUAL fourth edition V0l 2 that has a reasonable section on your motor (including the Tillotson carb). Also has wiring diagrams. Published by abos marine publications, copyright 1967. I’m pretty sure somebody has parked a version of it online.

retiredoz
            Participant

US Member

or here it is
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outboard-Motor- … 7a&vxp=mtr

wiscoboater
              Participant

Thank you retiredoz. I just ordered it. This must be my lucky day. I just got an Email from a guy that has my starter. And it works! Wonder if Dad has anything to do with this?

retiredoz
                Participant

US Member

But see, now that you have the manual, you have to go buy a Homelite,too. It’s in there !

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

In the early 60’s I had a West Bend Go cart racing engine. It was very fast,
                    Jeff

wiscoboater
                    Participant

Retiredoz,
                      What is your "handy dandy outboard bible" and where can I purchase one. My knack for hauling home the weird and uncommon/unusual of the outboard world could use a book like that.

chris-p
                      Participant

The Old Outboard Book! Everyone should have at least one copy. 😉
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Old-Outboar … 51d1752e21

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.