Home Forum Ask A Member What is this Motor?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

Found this on display in a local restaurant this afternoon. No visible markings, ID plate or decals left but looks like a mid 50s Gale or Gale store-branded motor. I’m thinking maybe a 1955 Sea King as that’s the only one I remember with the louvered vents on the lower cowl like this one, but what’s left of the paint doesn’t appear to be Sea King colors. Also, the early and mid 50s Gale products had a round throttle knob whereas this one has more of a flat blade type throttle handle. Guess that could have been a repair job sometime in the past maybe.

Any ideas?

Attachments:

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

martin20
      Participant

Looks like early 50’s Gale Buccaneer to me,they where brown. Say early 50′ s cause no neutral clutch

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Yep, a little more research says a Gale model 5D10B.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Guess I was wrong again. No shifter so maybe a 1950 model 2B7 5hp.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

frankr
            Participant

US Member

My vote is a 1951-54 Gale Buccaneer model 5S10B. "S" = Standard non-shift model.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

My vote is a 1951-54 Gale Buccaneer model 5S10B. Or a 1955 5S11B. "S" = Standard non-shift model.

rook49
                Participant

My grandpa rented those 5hp Buccaneer’s out at his boat dock back in the 50s along with Johnson 10 hp Seahorses. They were good motors but they did have a tenancy to catch fire when being refueled. Several times I’ve seen a fisherman paddling the rental boat back to the dock with a charred Buccaneer on the end of the safety chain.

chris-p
                  Participant
                    quote Rook49:

My grandpa rented those 5hp Buccaneer’s out at his boat dock back in the 50s along with Johnson 10 hp Seahorses. They were good motors but they did have a tenancy to catch fire when being refueled. Several times I’ve seen a fisherman paddling the rental boat back to the dock with a charred Buccaneer on the end of the safety chain.

I’m not sure saying they have a tendency to catch fire while being refueled is a fair statement! I have had hundreds of direct drive Gale built 5hps, never seen that happen, nor heard of anything like that for that matter lol.

Perhaps stupidity on the part of the Boatman? That could happen with any motor though. What the heck were they doing while refueling??? That’s what I would want to know!

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

Perhaps it was like my 3 hp Buccaneer. It wasn’t refueling that was the
                      problem, it’s when it was cold started, using the prime, which holds the
                      float pin down, and if held long enough, gas would collect in the bottom
                      of the cowling. "If" your plug wires were crusty like mine…… POOF.
                      Did that twice back in the 70’s when I was young and dumber, lol
                      P.S.- The little Buccaneer survived, and is hanging in the rafters!

quote Rook49:

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

❓ – ❓ – ❓

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.