Home Forum Ask A Member What’s different?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jcrigan
    Participant

I have a 1962 Wards Sea King 5hp outboard that needs to be converted to a long shaft. It is model gg18736d and is an OMC built motor. When looking up parts I got to wondering what makes this a 5hp and not a 5.5 or a 6hp engine. And of course how would I be able to make this into a 5.5-6hp?

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Gale 5hp is a different engine than the 5.5hp or 6hp J/E. The Gale does not have a removable cylinder head. I have never checked the parts lists to see how many of the internal parts are the same, but the block itself is different.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I have one also and I’ve been wondering the same thing. The main thing I’ve come up with is the cylinder block is different. It has blind cylinders (like Merc) and I wonder how much difference there is in combustion chamber and ports design. I’ve been meaning to pull the carb and compare with the 5.5, but haven’t been inspired enough to get on with it.

One thing I do know, it has considerably less power than the older Gale 5hp wedge head motors, which could run circles around it. But they could run circles around the 5hp Johnson TN-28 that I had also.

But it is very quiet. So quiet that it seems puny.

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a kind of beat up 5hp Gale Buccaneer of this same powerhead design. The powerhead is stuck at this time and I plan to tear into it sometime this winter. Maybe I’ll learn something worth passing along when I do that. I have one that is a very good runner and will actually plane my Sea Nymph 14R off with just me in the boat and some bow ballast. It seems to run right with many of the 5.5s I have run. A nice strong 5.5 will leave it behind though. Very nice running motor.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jcrigan
            Participant

Looking at it now I can see that is a cover and not a cylinder head. I do have a newer 6hp powerhead that may replace this one if I need to. The 5hp powerhead still is in decent shape. It’s quiet and idles down very well. Thanks, I keep learning new stuff here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.