Home Forum Ask A Member What The Heck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    beerman57
    Participant

Oh man, prying up with gentle force on the points cam on my Gale 25hp. and the crank moves up and down about 3/16". Can this possibly be OK, or is there something major wrong? Never noticed ANY crank moving up and down at all! And I just did such a nice job painting the top and 2 side cowls, they are beautiful.

outboard315
      Participant

I can’t imagine that being ok. Since I believe every engine has a thrust bearing.

chris-p
        Participant

Your crank might actually be snapped in half, but the crank is holding it together. Seen that.

beerman57
          Participant

I don’t think the crank is broke – I used a piston stop on both cylinders and checked going both directions, then installed the L/U and let the prop stop against a block of wood against the cav. plate, again checking both directions and the crank seems to be in one piece.
            Years ago a friend had a Jeep CJ with a V8 motor and broke the crank, it would start and run, but it made a LOT of noise.

oldcollector
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If I recall correctly that motor should have a carbon seal on the bottom of the crank, and held on by a c-clip with spring. The spring held the crank down,their by taking up the end play,and sealing the lower main bearing. Hope this is helpful.

beerman57
              Participant

You can’t see up the midsection to look for the spring and snap ring, but I put the motor on my truck tailgate and tipped it so the top of the crank was a little lower than the bottom. I pulled the crank "up" and it went right back down, like a spring pulled it back, so the spring and snap ring must be intact. I also took a piece of small PVC pipe, put it up against the bottom of the crank and pulled up on the crank and the PVC went up too. So, I don’t know what’s going on with it, but the crank is in one piece and the spring and clip for the bottom seal seem to be there.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Does it look like the powerhead has been apart before?
                  http://www.marineengine.com/parts/vinta … 600001.htm
                  I realize this is not the correct parts breakdown, but am guessing your engine uses the #8 thrust bushing, so perhaps someone left it out if the powerhead has been apart before.
                  I wouldn’t go ripping this thing apart just yet though, this excessive end play might be normal for your engine, perhaps someone else has a similar model they can examine.

Mumbles
                  Participant

A small amount of crankshaft end play is necessary but 3/16" sounds like too much.

All three crank roller bearings in your motor are pinned into position and a thrust washer, #96, at the top of the crank takes up the slack. It’s possible this piece is worn or missing if the motor shows signs of being disassembled before. The weight of the crank is supported in the middle and the crankcase could be worn here to.

The spring, #101, in the lower seal assembly, holds the carbon tight against the bearing face and has nothing to do with crank position.

These motors are quite forgiving so maybe start her up and see what she sounds like! 😀

beerman57
                    Participant

The parts list does show a thrust washer, but I don’t think this motor has ever been apart. I should be able to ask the seller how much he knows about it’s history, he lives nearby. I think I will go ahead and get it running and see what happens.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.