Home Forum Ask A Member Whats the smallest gauge wire that I can use for a kill switch?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

Whats the smallest gauge wire that I can use for a kill switch?

nj-boatbuilder57
      Participant

Selection of wire gauge is typically a factor of the current being drawn through it. The current in the kill circuit is virtually nothing…..you could use extremely small wire with no adverse electrical side effect.

That said, larger wire will offer structural integrity that is needed. The wires get flexed a bit as the mag plate turns, and you need something big & strong enough to tolerate it all. Personally, I used 16AWG on mine & it works fine.

Whatever gauge you decide on, use stranded, not solid. It aids in flexibility / durability.

wagemaker
        Participant

Great question. I am thinking it would carry low current so, quite thin. If too thin, vibrations and flexing may break it. Let’s see what the experts say.

Before I could hit send, NJboatbuilder posted and seems to agree.

jw-in-dixie
          Participant

I second stranded 16 AWG. Usually run mine in a flex jacket for added protection. Been running that way for 70 years with no failures. Cheers

20mercman
            Participant

US Member

I also use 16AWG stranded when I rewire my kill switches. It may be the same as OE, (at the moment I think so….) In any event, it works fine.

Steve

amuller
              Participant

Yes, but there is stranded and stranded. "Building Wire" can be stranded but usually with a relatively small number of strands, basically only enough to make it easier to install. Wire intended for flexibility and vibration resistance may have hundreds of strands. Think miniature welding cable. I got some silicone insulated, finely stranded wire via Amazon. It’s not cheap but seems well suited for this sort of service.

nj-boatbuilder57
                Participant

I use MTW, which for 16AWG is 26×30 stranding (26 strands of 30AWG). Seems flexible enough…

I know they make 16AWG that’s something like 250 strands of 42. Is that what you’re talking about? That must be really flexible!

amuller
                  Participant

Yes.

I don’t know the proper terminology but some wire is made up of stranded strands, sort of like rope. OMC used wire like this for the point leads on my V4. The metal didn’t seem fatigued at all but the insulation was dried out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.