Home Forum Ask A Member Where to get keys for old ignition setup

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

hi with the old aluminum princecraft with the 1957 johnson javelin, there was no key for the ignition. Is it hard to find a key for an ignition from the 50/60/70 era?

Suggestion please?

Thanks

BT

dougs-outboards
      Participant

Hey Billy,

I have a couple of old keys and have no ignition parts anymore, what’s your address and I will send them to you, maybe you will get lucky, eh?

You can PM me or email at outboardrepair1 @ yahoo . com (scoot address together).

Doug

In the meantime, maybe try misc small keys on you key ring or whatever, they were not real sophisticated back then. I have even used a screwdriver on some in the past.

Mumbles
        Participant

A local dealer has a ring with all of the known keys OMC used thru the years on it. This way they can cut a key from their supply of blanks. If you have an older OMC/BRP dealer nearby, they might be able to help you.

amuller
          Participant

Look closely at the front of the lock cylinder for a number, likely starting with K. With that number you can order keys from a dealer. I have done this twice and they both worked. Cost was around $15 each, though. (And it’s good to be aware that anybody else can do the same thing…)

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Feeling lucky? I have a KF-149, a KF-89, and a KF-56. Yours for the postage if they will work.

chris-p
              Participant

Billy,

I used to have a box with thousands of these keys! I sold them at a swap meet about a year ago. A member of the MLAOC has them now and he brings them to the meets. As stated, just look for the number on your unit and the matching key will work.

I wish now I would have kept a master set from the bunch, but shoulda coulda woulda.

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

Based on a tip form the forum here, I got one with the correct number on E-Bay, and it was cheap.

Click on the link below and keep scrolling down there are several there right now if you have the number from the keyhole. You will find your type of key here and there mixed in with newer style keys.
                  Dave

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X%27Johnson+outboard+ignition+key%27.TRS0&_nkw=%27Johnson+outboard+ignition+key%27&_sacat=0

billy-j
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

While on the subject of keys. I have a late 1950’s mercury electric start 2 lever throttle gearshift control that I also need an ignition start key for. Any hints on getting a key for a Mercury?

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

merc dealers have the same set up with a lot of keys. if it is the first keys "CLUM" I have some blanks.

bill-m
                      Participant

I have a 66 Jeep CJ5 that came with no key to the glove box. I just took the lock to a local locksmith and he made me a couple of keys. If you have a good locksmith in your area he should be able to do the same. All he needs is the lock in his hand.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.