Home Forum Ask A Member Why are these different??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    skanders01
    Participant

Seems to be my day to ask questions. Logical since I have a long way to go before I have a day to answer questions!

I am restoring two FD’s. a -16 (’62) and a -19 (’65). After disassembly of the carbs, I am presented with a difference that puzzles me. the carb on the right is from the 16, and the one on the left from the 19. (I see my pictures are out of order as usual) My Johnson repair manual shows a picture telling me the one on the right has the correct high speed needle assy. I have no idea what the heck is going on with the one on the left. It would appear to me that this carb does not have a high speed adjustment.

One other difference of significance between the two fuel systems is that the 16 has a sediment bowl and the 19 does not. Puzzle #2 of this post. Again, no picture of a sediment bowl on the (typical…FD-10) illustration or parts explosions that I can see.

Should I remove the sediment bowl and hoses from the ’16?

Shoulld I get a new carb bottom piece and a high speed needle that looks like a high speed needle?

Again, today, with thanks to those who helped with my prop shaft locating pin problem earlier, I need some more help to keep me going. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:

Kyle Anderson
      Trempeleau, WI
      skanders@triwest.net
      920-764-0501

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

why mess with the design ?? differences are usually for performance improvements and/or… cost reduction

I doubt anything … looks like a high speed needle…if not a needle it is a fixed jet orifice

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

chris-p
        Participant

The carb on the left (newer one) has a fixed high speed jet. They are not adjustable per se, unless you change them out. They require a special tool to remove. If you look in deep inside the hole you will see it in there. Not using the tool can lead to damage of the jet. I always remove them during cleaning.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The fuel pumps contain filter screens. I guess at some point they decided the sediment bowl was overkill and not necessary.

kerry
            Participant

US Member

There is a kit to change the fixed HS jet with an adjustable, P/N 278623. Finding a kit could be a challenge…

Attachments:

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.