Home Forum Ask A Member Why Can’t It Be Done?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Making quality ignition components that is.

Here’s a set of 33 year old points I just removed from an ’85 four horse Johnson. Judging by the condition of the motor, I’d say they and the coils are original and nothing on the mag plate has ever been disturbed. These are original OMC points but look at the contact surfaces. The contact area is centered and covers a large flat area from being in near perfect alignment. Try getting that performance with a set of you know whos aftermarket points! With a bit of polishing and new caps, these should be good for another 30+ years.

Hey, quality control at Sierra, can you hear me? Huh? Huh? Can ya? Huh? :mrgreen:

Attachments:

reivertom
      Participant

US Member

That’s why I re-use the originals unless there’s a real good reason to toss them.

reivertom
        Participant

US Member

That’s why I re-use the originals unless there’s a real good reason to toss them.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When they make the aftermarket ones, their rulers are all metric; so that’s the problem. Or they are just morons. Maybe just the latter.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
            Participant

US Member

News Flash!!! There is no quality control at Sierra.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

reason is money and profits ….my son use to get bicycles made in china….talk about skimping on quality all the way down to the thickness of brake pads to save millions and millions of pennies here and there. Ever had a bike with a broken fork or broken pedals . I never did .

They now exist thanks to cheap recycled junk metals from all over the world brewed up and recast into cheap bicycle frames stamped " designed in America" or… "designed in Canada" wherever you want it designed they will have a sticker for it . Canada Goose coats worth 800-$1000 well they make them (copies) for $80 with chicken feathers that punch out of the fabric.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House
                Participant

Because not enough people will buy them
                  to make it worthwhile. Quality cost more.
                  People shop by price i.e. Harbor Fright.

amuller
                  Participant

Points across the board have deteriorated in quality. Fortunately the don’t usually need replacement, as opposed to cleaning and aligning. These do look significantly gouged on the lower left.

rook49
                    Participant

If you think their points are bad you ought to try to install their coils. The ones I tried to install recently the holes were about a quarter of a hole off.

csw
                      Participant

There is no such thing anymore as durable goods, from kitchen appliances down to ignition parts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.