Home Forum Ask A Member Winterizing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ryanjames170
    Participant

How do you guys go about winterizing your old outboards?

chris-p
      Participant

1. Add stabilizer to fuel tank.
        2. Run for at least 10 minutes, to get it through the system.
        3. Shoot fogging oil into the carb throat until it dies.
        4. Remove plugs, spray some fogging oil into cylinder, manually pull over a couple times to distribute oil.
        5. Store vertical. Ensure drain holes are clear of debris.
        6. Change gear oil with new crush washers.
        7. I mist WD40 over it to help limit corrosion.
        8. Wipe off old grease and grime from year, and re grease fittings.
        9. Remove prop and ensure no fishing line wrapped around prop shaft.
        10. I then remove tiller grip, and all points along throttle system, and re grease to ensure smooth operation.

Good till next year!

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

I like to disconnect the fuel supply from the running engine, and spray fogging oil through the carb intake while running out of fuel. If you listen closely, you can hear the motor speed up briefly when the fuel supply has been exausted. Then I stop fogging and stop the motor. You may have to modify this procedure for pre war motors, depending on what you have. I’m a firm believer in fogging all engines for storage, even inboards and stern drives.

The Boat House
          Participant

Run them out of gas.
            Change the gear lubricant
            looking for water.
            Make sure all vents including
            mixture screws are closed.
            Fog four strokes.
            Not two strokes.
            I find they are well lubricated
            from the oil in the gas.
            Stored in a dry but unheated
            building.
            Ran a motor last year I haven’t
            run since 05 or 06 with no problems.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I fog ALL my motors. I have no idea when they might be used again. I have a two hose connector with a short line connecting the pressure side to the fuel side. This does a great job of blowing all the fuel out of the lines, filter and carburetor. As it speeds up at the end I squirt in the fogging oil to totally coat the inside of the engine. Make sure all the drain holes are open, change the gear case lub and tag the motor as "Winterized" . . . 😀

johnyrude200
              Participant

1. Run it out of gas.
                2. Pull the plugs and ground the ignition wires.
                3. Use the electric starter or a drill gun on the flywheel nut turning clockwise to turn the motor over, while spraying fogging oil into the carb/intake. Keep spraying until you see a mist of fogging oil come out the plug holes. For motors with multiple carbs, repeat this process for each cylinder.
                4. After seeing spray, spray more into each cylinder by rotating the flywheel clockwise so the piston is all the way toward the crank. Repeat for each cylinder and aim for the top of the cylinder. Once completed, slowly turn over the motor by hand 4-5 times to distribute all the oil thoughout.
                5. Drain the gearcase, pressure test, replace oil.
                6. Lubricate all fittings as explained in the owners manual.
                7. I spray down the whole engine with WD-40 and clean up anything that doesn’t look right.
                8. If only a 2 cylinder, rotate the flywheel so the intake/exhaust ports are COVERED UP by the pistons to prevent air flow in the cylinders.
                9. Replace the plugs and snug down, putting the plug leads back on them of course.
                10. Next time you run it there will be a giant cloud of smoke for about 3-4 minutes.

The motor will drip all kinds of oil out of it, but I guarantee it isn’t getting any corrosion internally by following this method……

chris-p
                Participant

2 stroke oil is NOT meant/designed to be used to protect for storage. It is designed to burn. Im not sure about you guys down south, but up here in the north fogging is not just a good idea, it is completely mandatory. You do not want to ruin your powerhead and bearings. Please do not promote not fogging our motors, it only takes seconds. I personally would like to see my grandkids and their grandkids enjoying these motors like we do. Just because a motor has ran that was not fogged, that does not mean that it could not have been better preserved had it been properly protected.

Just my 2 cents. I feel that recommending not fogging motors is akin to recommending 100:1 fuel/oil mixtures. I feel as a club we need to set out to preserve these motors for others, not just for ourselves.

ryanjames170
                  Participant

IM planning to Fog all of the old bests the next few days here.

johnyrude200
                    Participant

It’s tedious but a necessary sin. I have 150+ motors here….each one of them were fogged before stuck on the rack…for the most part. If you’re only doing 1-5 at a time it’s not bad, but if you forget and have a few dozen it can take awhile, particularly draining and changing transmission oil…..

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

For storing gasoline, stabilizer was mentioned. I either dump all gas out of the tank, or have the tank nearly full. I do not use ethanol-gas and do not use stabilizer; and have never had a problem. Worst is a nearly empty tank, especially if it’s vented – if you have this, use stabilizer. If you use gas with ethanol in it, seek out stabilizer that also stabilizes the ethanol from phase separation. Sta-Bil Marine has ethanol stabilizer, and there are others out there, but some stabilizers only stabilize the gasoline and ethanol storage will still be a problem.

In addition to what the other guys do, I put the choke on to keep bugs out. I put a plastic bag over the lower unit, or cardboard under it to catch anything that may leak out.

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.