Home Forum Ask A Member yet another 15hp question

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cajuncook1
    Participant

Are you going to do a write up with pictures and explainations?

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

Just two more comments/questions. What about the red arrows showing hot water leaving the block in the water flow diagrams? Are they still in the manual JohnnyRude200 or cajuncook?
        The other comment is on big powerheads that have been rebuilt with a warranty, the builder would put a pop up temp sensor on the block. It was just glued on the water passage. If a problem with the powerhead was experienced then they would look to see if the sensor had popped up. An overheat had occurred if the sensor had popped up. They came in different temp ranges so you could put one on way past normal temp so there was no,argument as to wheather the engine had been overheated. Not sure where they got them, but couldn’t be too hard to find and had to be cheap. They could come in real handy on repair motors that customers take out and overheat, but say they didn’t.

Dan in TN

johnyrude200
        Participant

Danny,

The manuals you sent me had a blue-red water indicator chart. It follows common sense, but the origin of this post is a reflection of my personal ignorance.

That said, when you say pop-up sensor, is this akin to a turkey-baster indicator?

On a side note, at what temp do motors seize? I caught at 9.5 today running a 210° and IMMEDIATELY killed it (which took about 35 secs. to get there). The motor had prior evidence of an overheat (discolored cylinder head; early 70’s with a brown cylinder head = OBVIOUS), the culprit was a failed thermostat that was stuck shut. The motor pumped plenty of water.

Apparently the original owner went well beyond the original service recommendation. Fortunately it was still a 1/2 pull starter after I replaced the coils and recalibrated the points with a timing fixture.

I condemn the previous owner.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

Just like a turkey baster! Different motors have different tolerances. Even looser motors can tolerate more heat, just depends on how fast the heat is coming on. At WOT you don’t have long! Needless to say some overheats take there toll without a total kill on the motor, but the engine will never be the same.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.