0584477 Replacement OMC coil

Home Forum Ask A Member 0584477 Replacement OMC coil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

• bob-d

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 513
    Topics: 104

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement OMC universal coils from the latest batch of eBay Chinese knockoffs?
    The sellers are constantly changing, and I cannot find the ones that Mumbles recommended a few years ago.
    Thanks,
    Bob D

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

I have ordered over a dozen with free (& slow) shipping around 17-20$ CDN each tax free ….. no issues just plan ahead a few weeks

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

aquasonic

Replies: 634
    Topics: 42

It seems that most of the latest Chinese replacement coils have the name “Zhongfadz” cast into the side of the coil, and they dominate the online market. I haven’t seen any bad reviews, so they may be fine.

If you are patient, occasionally NOS OMC, or Prufrex coils come up for sale on Ebay. Just picked up two NOS OMC coils for $33.99 with free shipping, so that’s about 1/2 off from new list price, and just a few dollars more than the Chinese replacements.

kirkp

Replies: 240
    Topics: 16

Saw a post this morning “on another site” where someone mentioned past use of a Lawnboy 678539 coil as a OMC replacement. Quick search found them available on Ebay for $20 or so.
    Kirk

bob-d

Saw a post this morning “on another site” where someone mentioned past use of a Lawnboy 678539 coil as a OMC replacement. Quick search found them available on Ebay for $20 or so.
    Kirk

Thanks Kirk, unfortunately that is a different style coil than the 0584477. Good tip though to cross reference some Lawn Boy products for OMC outboard parts.

I did find what I think is going to be a good alternative to the OMC oem, and 2 month wait Chinese coils. Joe Poole (Ferguson Poole Marine) in Georgia is selling CDI coils for $17.99. Joe mentioned that theses coils are made in America.
    Have used some CDI stators in my 70’s Merc’s, and the quality seems to be pretty good.
    Just tossing it out there.
    Bob D

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

If you expect to be using lots of coils in the future, look for an eBay seller with the Make An Offer option in their ad. Some sellers like to haggle so you can get a much better deal by buying the coils in bulk. I’ve bought several lots of twenty at a time and it worked out to less than $15 CDN ($11.75 USD) each with free shipping. The packaging isn’t the greatest but they all arrived undamaged and are working.

On second thought, it might have been $10 each I paid for them.

Chinese-Coils-On-Tailgate

Chinese-Coils-Unwrapped

Chinese-Coils

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.

Buccaneer

Replies: 7495
    Topics: 1072

Must have been a bumpy boat ride from China!

Prepare to be boarded!

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

I think China is on to us outboarders ….. I did not see any advertisement for large packs of 10-20 ..

mind you one of those BEST DEAL adveritsers may accept a good offer for a 10-20 pack

anyhow.. I’ve got 6 or 8 in my spare box so I am good for a while

as for condensers I am going to try these “refills” at 50 Cents a piece … they are not 850v but seems 630v should do. time will tell after the ice melts

http://www.amazon.ca/Metallized-Polypropylene-Capacitors-Electric-Circuits/dp/B07N1FH5S6/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=.22uf+630+20+capacitor&qid=1611507776&sr=8-14

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bob-d

Crosbyman, great deal thanks for sharing. How are you going to mount these? Just hook them up, or take the guts out of an old capacitor. If the latter I would love to see your method. Sealed in epoxy etc……..
    If anyone else has an ingenious vintage looking way to mount them chime in.

Jim, it’s amazing that all of your coils are working after their trip. Heck if they can take that kind of postal beating, a few knocks from some waves on the back of a boat are a piece of cake! They must be pretty strong.
    Bob D

Grumbles

Replies: 2
    Topics: 0

Have you guys read the article yet on capacitors in this months Outboarder magazine? It’s quite interesting and you might want to read it before buying any caps which might not hold up.

X7R-Caps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.