Home Forum Ask A Member 14 hp McCulloch driving me crazy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    thepetrolist
    Participant

So, I got myself a 196X 14 hp McCulloch for next to nothing. It is in an overall good condition but it has one problem that drives me crazy. It has no spark and I have no clue why.

When I got it, it had no spark on neither cylinder. I cleaned the points and got spark on the top cylinder but not on the bottom one. I then removed the mag plate to clean and adjust and test all components. The coil on the bottom cylinder is dead so thats that. But the top coil tests perfectly fine with 6500 ohm secondary resistance. The points are nice and clean, I swapped the condenser to a brand new OMC "universal" condenser, installed new spark plug wires and spark plug.
      But still no spark on the top cylinder! I’ve checked and re-checked, set everything over and over and still no spark.
      Then out of shear desperation I pulled the dead bottom coil apart and installed an OMC coil on the Phelon core, and installed a new condenser. Set the points, cleaned them and everything, expecting a spark on the bottom cylinder. NADA. Nothing. So someone tell me what the heck I’m missing?

Mumbles
      Participant

Welcome to the McCullochs From Hell club!

Your motor sounds like the twelve horse I’ve been working on and off for the last few years. It also has new OMC/BRP coils but I installed Atom modules to eliminate the points. After months of frustration, I discovered one of the points terminals was loose and could be turned around on its base causing erratic spark. I have new sets of points now so when I get desperate for something to do, I’ll pull the Mac out and install them. Also, double check or replace the plug wires and remove and clean the plug terminals. The wires can be broken internally which will give a good ohm reading but can’t pass enough current to fire the plug. A poor connection from the spring terminal to the wires core will do the same thing.

Tom
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I hope I don’t insult anyone, but here are some basic things to check:

1. The cam is installed correctly ("top" appears on top) and the cam is the correct one. Sometimes you can tell if a motor has been butchered up, and parts swapped between models. It’s not always obvious, but if you find something wonky on one part of the motor, suspect anything else that could have been messed up.

2. The flywheel is original to the motor. I think they used both WICO and Phelon systems post 1958.

3. The coil primary wire is hooked up to the correct set of points. With one set of points open, verify that when you install the flywheel, that the magnets are passing the coil hooked up to the open points.

4. The points are working. Disconnect the coil and the condenser from the points. Measure continuity across the points by connecting to the insulated point contact and the mag plate. Verify no continuity with the points open, and less that a few tenths of a ohm with the points closed.

Can you post a photo of the mag, or send it to me? I can compare it to my motor to see whether it’s the same (I have a 12 hp version, basically the same as far as I know) and to check to see whether I have an extra mag.

Tom

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had a bonding problem that drove me up the wall. The magneto plate had a shakey connection between the block & the stater plate.
            I would fire on the top then start missing & the bottom would fire, then swap missing cylinders 5 seconds later. Without a good bond between ign & block the current would reverse to the other second magneto system on the plate. That turned one set of points gold they got so hot. Phelon system.

I ran a #16 stranded wire from block to magneto plate & it ran like new, was a Merc 200. Had the same issues again, Phelon mag again, Mark 5 this time. Added my bond wire again & same results, ran like new again. Try it, your motor might like it 😀

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I had one with no markings on the cam. just flipped it and it worked.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.