Home Forum Ask A Member 1932 Elto Super A Powerhead

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

I tore apart the subject powerhead today. This is from the Franken motor
      with the 1926 Elto Ruddertwin lower unit.
      The stovebolt screw that’s “staked in” the crankcase behind the carb flange
      seems odd. Is this original? The only thing the screw is doing is plugging the hole.

Powerhead is in fair shape, cylinders okay, etc. The piston wrist pins seem just
      a tad loose in the rods though.

What possible lower units would this powerhead fit on?
      I may put it back on the ruddertwin lower, but not sure “rope steer” on an 11 hp
      motor would be fun, lol.

DSCN9589

DSCN9588

DSCN9530-1

DSCN9593

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
      Participant

eltoquad
        Participant

US Member

I’ve always wondered is the Super A actually an 11 H.P. motor. I’ve always considered it more of around 8 H.P. even thought the “Old Outboarder Book” lists it at 11.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

I’ve always wondered is the Super A actually an 11 H.P. motor. I’ve always considered it more of around 8 H.P. even thought the “Old Outboarder Book” lists it at 11.

I wondered the same thing just by looking at the bore size…….. sure doesn’t
            seem like enough cubic inches to be 11 hp.

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Tubs, thanks for the info and photos. I was just looking at my inventory list,
              and the closest “cousin” to the Elto Super A I see is a 1932 Johnson K-50, 8 hp.
              For kicks, I’ll look at that power head to L.U. base.

I already compared the 1930 Elto Sr. Speedster’s lower unit, and it’s a lot different
              in design, etc., and not even a close match to bolting up.

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
              Participant

squierka39
                Participant

US Member

It’s not going to fit the Johnson K tower without modifications. here’s a KD tower, basically the same as the K-50.
                  Why not clean it all up and put it back in the ruddertwin tower while searching for the correct super A tower? It actually looks pretty cool the way it is. Some speedsters came with a rudder, can’t be that hard to control.
                  8B1381F5-0B1F-4815-9D2F-65589C746232

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by squierka39.
                  Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

Michael, thanks for clearing up the K-50 thoughts….. I’ve been
                    busy all morning repairing and cleaning bolts and nuts
                    and cleaning the Super A cylinders, that I forgot to look!
                    I probably will put the A powerhead back on the rudder twin lower,
                    just was wondering if I had options.

Prepare to be boarded!

lyks2tinkr
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Super A was basically a battery fired 30s fleetwin rated at about 8.5hp. The leg and lower for those 30s fleetwin type motors shouldn’t be a scarce commodity.
                      I 2nd the suggestion of putting i back on the RT leg. It was a cool looking mod.
                      Its your motor have fun with it.

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

The Super A was basically a battery fired 30s fleetwin rated at about 8.5hp. The leg and lower for those 30s fleetwin type motors shouldn’t be a scarce commodity.
                        I 2nd the suggestion of putting i back on the RT leg. It was a cool looking mod.
                        Its your motor have fun with it.

Okay, you talked me into it! I’ll put the powerhead back on the rudder twin lower.
                        Not something I’ll use much anyway, and it will be fun to see what happens,
                        if I actually get it running, lol.
                        May get the powerhead back together today, then I can check out the coil and carb.
                        Hopefully the guts in the LU are okay.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.