Home Forum Ask A Member 1938 neptune. how do I remove the flywheel?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lickitysplit
    Participant

Iam new at this so my terminology might not be writen but i am absolutley loving it!!! im trying to remove the top of my 1938 neptune and im stumped. ive removed the nut and top plate and beat on it am i headding in the write direction please help

david-bartlett
      Participant

Don’t beat on it. If the flywheel doesn’t have tapped holes for puller attachment then make a flywheel knocker.

Steve A W
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s a video that Mr Tubbs put together.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWgE9XiIBnk

Member of the MOB chapter.
          I live in Northwest Indiana

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member
            quote lickitysplit:

Iam new at this so my terminology might not be written but i am absolutely loving it!!! im trying to remove the top of my 1938 neptune and im stumped. ive removed the nut and top plate and beat on it am i heading in the write direction please help

Replace the flywheel nut with a normal nut, unscrew it 3-4 turns from tight you don’t want to remove it completely.
            Use an automotive harmonic balancer puller, get 3 GRADE 8 bolts, I believe 1/4-20 will work for that motor.
            Assemble the puller, install the 3 bolts threading them in about 3/8 of an inch. I will explain the depth later.
            Tighten the drive/center bolt down tight, I mean tight, then tighten it some more, I have even used an impact here, point is it must be tight.

More often than not this is enough to get the flywheel to pop. Should that not work, with everything still attached, give the top of the puller bolt a decent whack, not a 15 pound sledgehammer whack, but a decent whack. Should pop off long before the whack but ya never know.

Now for the explaining on the depth of threading into the flywheel. The maximum holding power of any given thread is 1 1/2 times the diameter of the given thread. so a 1/4 bolt will reach it maximum holding power threaded into object at 3/8 of an inch, now to add to that, you have delicate parts under that flywheel that the bolts, if threaded too far, well that delicate stuff could be destroyed.

Good luck

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

fifty20ne
            Participant

US Member

Most Important!!!

Put Safety glasses on (You don’t want a piece of chipped metal in your eye)

A heavy ball peen type hammer works best.

lickitysplit
              Participant

wow that info was amazing thank you very much

lickitysplit
                Participant

i believe this is a 1938 1.2 horse and i dont have anything to thread into

The Boat House
                  Participant
                    quote lickitysplit:

i believe this is a 1938 1.2 horse and i dont have anything to thread into

How to remove a flywheel the doesn’t have
                    holes for a puller. Click on link below.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWgE9XiIBnk

Doug Wilson
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If no holes for a puller. Loosen the nut a few turns and either have someone lift up on the fly wheel then whack the nut good will usually knock it lose.
                      Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                      turned off?

Mumbles
                      Participant

A knocker by FR used to protect the threads.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.