1939 Sportwin 3.3 – rebuildable? advisable?

Home Forum Ask A Member 1939 Sportwin 3.3 – rebuildable? advisable?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    Chris Picknally

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 11
    Topics: 3

Howdy – I got myself into trouble, I found a 1939 3.3hp Evinrude Sportwin, serial 4303 in AZ. not frozen, complete, no other info. Do you think this would make a good candidate to get running again. Your thoughts and insight are appreciated. A few photos attached. I intend to run it on a small 15ft sailboat, love the idea of getting it going and putting it to use.

Attachments:
    Chris Picknally

US Member - 1 Year

Another photo or two….

Attachments:
    Boggs74

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 24
    Topics: 4

I would say yes. You have a very complete and staight unit with lots of potential.
    Good luck ans smooth sailing…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Chris Picknally

US Member - 1 Year

Thanks for your input. I am paying…. $95 for it….. maybe a bit too much… but in AZ it is hard to find old outboards… lake and all. I wish I was up in the Northeast or Lake Country up north… I see some of the groups and their swap meets etc…… ugh, I wish.

David Bartlett
    David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 484
    Topics: 21

Great looking original! This should make you a nice project!

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

jeff-register

Replies: 1225
    Topics: 49

Where in Az did you find the motor?

Chris Picknally

US Member - 1 Year

A guy on local Facebook Buy/Sell is selling off his collection, he posted a few on Craigslist too. I understand he bought the collection years ago and done with them.

need2fish

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 143
    Topics: 12

You have one of Evinrude’s more durable motors. If the block is not cracked , you have a good chance of having it run again. I have 5 — they’re great to listen to — as with all opposed, both cylinders firing at the same time transmit a sharp metallic clack .

There are only a few showstoppers when it comes to getting one running: the aforementioned block, bushings around top/bottom of crankshaft and the lower driveshaft and propshaft bushings. There are lots of parts motors around should you need carb/coil/condensers replaced.

ooseven

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

You have one of Evinrude’s more durable motors. I just bought one for $250.00. Runs like a champ.
    Simple but very effective.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Chris Picknally

US Member - 1 Year

Thanks guys, I’m flying blind so the encouragement is good to hear. I figure anything from 1939 engineering is simple, sting and practical. I’m picking up the motor today. Will post some more details as I get a better look.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.