1940 Johnson AT10, 5 hp Coil and Condenser – where to find?

Home Forum Ask A Member 1940 Johnson AT10, 5 hp Coil and Condenser – where to find?

Tagged: 

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Steven Moore

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 8
    Topics: 2

I’m looking to replace the coil and condenser and points on a 1940 Johnson AT10, 5hp. Unfortunately, I don’t have a parts manual, so I can’t list the parts numbers or search for them.

Ideally, does anyone have a part number for a newer replacement coil, points, and condenser? On-line parts books don’t seem to go back that far. Or, better yet, does anyone have a good, tested coil to sell and/or points/condenser? It’s the coil that uses grounding brushes and has the plug wires coming out each side.

I also believe it might be the same for the LT37, DT39, AT39, LT10, and DT10, but have not confirmed.

Thank you!

Steve

lloyd

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 316
    Topics: 3

I have some good tested used ones (coils , points, condensers) from a TD. I think they are the same as the earlier ones? Lloyd 231-929-7479

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 5085
    Topics: 831

Is it this style coil?
    There’s a thread on the forum about someone replacing the carbon brushes
    that made their motor run good.

Mag-plate-file-photo

Or this type of coil………?

DSCN6265

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Buccaneer.
    Attachments:

Steven Moore

US Member - 1 Year

It is the first of your pictures picture type. I will post a picture I just took below. Thank you so very much for the fast reply!

1940 Johnson AT10 Magneto

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Mumbles.
    Attachments:

Steven Moore

US Member - 1 Year

Thank you for your very fast reply. I’m not certain the AT10 coil (single coil) is the same as the TD coils. Please see the picture I posted. If you do have a tested one of these At10 type coils and/or condenser, I would be happy to buy it from you.

IMG_4581a-1

Attachments:

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5171
    Topics: 276

AT-10 coils are different than the horseshoe coils used in the HD, TD, or TN motors.

Coils-Less-Heels

HD-TN-Coils

lloyd

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the photos. The later TD coils I have are different. But I may have the coils and or condensers you need in my box full of magnetos. I will have to go up to my shop and see what I have.

lloyd

US Member - 2 Years

I checked my box of magnetos and sorry to say I don’t have the parts you need.

The Boat House

Replies: 3564
    Topics: 88

They use the same coil in the single’s (LS & DS 38-39)
    and ground out 1 lead. If you have the hardware you can
    use one of them.
    Tubs

You're only as smart as the person you're talking to.

Steven Moore

US Member - 1 Year

Lloyd:

Thank you very much for looking. I very much appreciate your replies and efforts.

Steve

Steven Moore

US Member - 1 Year

AT-10 coils are different than the horseshoe coils used in the HD, TD, or TN motors.

Coils-Less-Heels

HD-TN-Coils

Mumbles: Excellent! Thank you very much for the part number. That’s a huge start for me.

I’m still hunting for the condenser part number and/or the microfarrad value, so I may test what I have.

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5171
    Topics: 276

The original P/N for your motors condenser is 72-1036 and it had a rating of .21 uF. Thanks goes out to Garry in Michigan who had compiled this list a few years ago.

Since the original condensers are NLA, certain Orange Drop or Vishay capacitors can be substituted for the originals. The axial Vishays can be mounted in the original can, or out in the open.

Here’s a link to Digi-Key who supplies the High Quality series of Vishay caps in different ratings:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/vishay-beyschlag-draloric-bc-components/MKP1839422084HQ/2260507?s=N4IgTCBcDaIEYGMwDYAMBOAtAOwCYgF0BfIA&vendor=0

Caps-Johnson

0.22-uF-Caps

DSC00074

outboardnut

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 802
    Topics: 349

Please correct me if I am wrong-
    but John Collins from Indiana wrote the article on values of condensers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.