Home Forum Ask A Member 1940 Mercury K4 Eisemann 72H

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    green-thumbs
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Trial assembly of "Not a Kiekhafer…" K 4 project from parts, reveals a problem. The magneto plate is a way too floppy fit on the "snout" of the crankcase even with the friction adjustment
      screwed all the way in. Manual indicates Eisemann 72H is correct magneto and I have
      tried two magneto plates so problem seems to be the "snout" on crankcase is too small.
      My first thought is to have a sleeve fitted to snout to allow use of magneto plate.
      Does this seem like a good solution? I am undecided as to whether original setup had
      an adapter or if the "snout" was altered post factory.
      Louis

by the numbers:1940 twin snout is about 22mm high and 31.8mm diameter

WF4 twin snout is about 19mm high and 34.8mm diameter

3mm = roughly 1/8" Although K4 snout is a tad rough it is not
      that much smaller due to wear. Either it is close to what it was
      originally or it has been altered. A solvable problem but not
      an expected one.

Anonymous

Hey Louis, sounds like an interesting project you have going there. Is it a K4 crankcase that you have? I wouldn’t think that someone would have altered it but I suppose anything is possible. You mention a WF4. Are some of the parts from that model?
        Kirk

Oh yeah, any pictures?

fifty20ne
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Posting pics for Green thumbs K4 on left WG-4 on right.

https://goo.gl/photos/NYuhxx8BWv6SHaD77

benji41
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

fifty20ne— What year is the K4 manual? I have a 1940 and does not look the same. Also do you have the complete manual and is there a way I can get a copy?

Jim Benjamin

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I haven’t finished my coffee yet, so no guarantees; but seems like this would take up the slack just about right…..You’d need a grounding wire, though. You’d also need to modify the height of the bushing.

https://www.mcmaster.com/1281n31

If that link didn’t work, try this and look for the 1 -1/4″ shaft size

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastic-bushings

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by billw.
              • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by billw.
              jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Louis
                How about some brass shim stock? ,
                Used those nylon bushings in Steris brand surgery tables in the back-up & leg up hinged points. They wore out in 20 years, but moved very slow. Could use counter sunk hardware too, maybe? Is the neck egg shaped?

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As it worked out, the fellow who gave me the crankcase, dug up the rope plate, flywheel and magneto plate with cam/spark advance handle. Eisemann 72H magneto plate that was a snug fit to the k4 snout. Rope plate was for a Mercury
                  K4, interesting as I now have 3 K4 rope plates. The tank is for a rewind twin. A non
                  rewind tank has come to hand and will be swapped in as the rewind tank has
                  a motor looking for it as well as the large opening magneto plate.
                  The unknown crankcase led to a very interesting restoration/recreation project.
                  Some will call it a mishmash. Let them come up with the correct 1940 parts
                  That might take a while.
                  K4 is still a work in progress…the gift that keeps on giving .
                  Louis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.