1941 Champion- Help appreciated

Home Forum Ask A Member 1941 Champion- Help appreciated

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)

• Jeff Hooper

Replies: 4
    Topics: 1

I am an antique car guy who would appreciate some help from the outboard experts! I am helping a widow in our church sell some of her possessions. Her late husband owned a 1941 Champion outboard that was purchased new by his father. Details about the motor:

1. It is a model 1G per the steering column and block. I’ve done research on the ‘net and see references to “S1G”, “D1G” “M1G”, etc. This one has no letter in front of the 1G
    2. Serial number on the block is ’30’ and on the steering column ‘157’. Would assume this means it is an early engine in the 1941 production run.
    3. Carb is a Tilliston AJ2A
    4. By spinning the flywheel I can tell it has decent compression and the prop turns.
    5. The engine has not run in 30 years, but is in good, unrestored condition. It even has the original instructions decal on the gas tank.

Questions:

1. Is there anything special about this engine? As I mentioned above, I have seen many references to online about the S1G engine and others in the “G (1941)” series. This one has no letter at the beginning.
    2. Estimated value as-is (Not sure if it runs), running, restored and running? Let me say, as a member of many forums, I hate it when someone shows up and in their first post says “I have X and what is it worth?”. I never wanted to be that guy. However, I am trying to help a friend who is in a tough financial situation. I have tried to do my leg work but can’t find a complete picture of what I am working with after many Google searches.
    3. Get it running with a detail job or fully restore? The motor appears to be original, including paint and decals. My instincts are to simply get it running again so someone else can enjoy it with 80 years of patina.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions! I know my way around flathead V-8’s (Own a 1937 Ford pickup) but am a complete neophyte in this hobby. However, after looking through the forum I may add another hobby to the list!

WPUB1431

OUVW3956

NBJD4864

RQFP4535

QORV1634

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Jeff Hooper.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.

HARRY D. NICHOLSON

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 152
    Topics: 11

To find the correct model number and serial number, take a flashlight and look at the lower front of the powerhead assembly, just below where the steering arm bolts on. There you will find stamped into the metal, something like S1G xxxx or D1G xxxx or S4G xxxx etc.
    Your example looks better than the average one. It appears to be in real nice condition with possibly no serious rust or dents. G would indicate 1941.
    If you have no spark, clean the points (gap at .020″). Tin tanks rust – look inside.
    Repainting and new decals is a lot of work and the cost of materials may not be recouped.
    It won’t necessarily pump water or cool when running in a barrel due to air bubbles getting into the metal impeller causing cavitation in the pump. These pumps are almost always good but the water lines must be connected and air tight. There is no tell-tale of visible water pumping, just feel the cylinder sides for temp, or spritz some water drops on the cylinder to see if it is hot..

tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 312
    Topics: 54

As far as worth??? She’s not sitting on a gold mine. Sorry but these motors can be had for yard sale prices. It’s a great original example but not particularly rare. I hope you do pick up the hobby it’s a great hobby and you’ll meet some great people

It's a jungle out there.

fifty20ne

Replies: 487
    Topics: 75

A nice original motor.

At an AOMCI meet this motor would typically sell for $75 – 100 range.

I paid $100.00 for mine off CL

Here is one for sale that has not sold yet.

https://flint.craigslist.org/bpo/d/clio-vintage-champion-outboard-motor/7334210407.html

00m0m_iYz0ppS58I0z_0lM0t2_600x450

bill-m

Replies: 56
    Topics: 30

This is a lot better looking motor than the two I have. To me it appears to be an S1G. The only real difference between an S1G (Standard) and an D1G (Deluxe) is the S1G has a rope start which it appears your friends motor has and a recoil start which can be found on the D1G. I have never heard of an M1G but would love to know the difference compared to the S1G and D1G. When I was a newby I paid too much for mine plus shipping which I am too embarrassed to disclose. I have since learned to check with other members before buying anything.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

M typically means Majestic, but I don’t know if the brand goes back that far.

HARRY D. NICHOLSON

US Member - 2 Years

M1G is a single cylinder Mariner by Champion. Also M2G twin and M4G, all from 1941.

Jeff Hooper

Replies: 4
    Topics: 1

Thank you very much for the input and help. I am going check the points/condenser, make sure carb float functions, re-grease, and see if I can get it running. Will certainly help with the value, but you guys got me in the value ball park of what to expect.

The model number is still something of a head-scratcher. I included a picture of the number next to the steering column and one on the block. Both simply say “1GXXX”. No “S”, “D”, “M”, etc. in front of the 1. The block has a serial number of 30 and the steering column 137 which would seem to indicate this was an early production motor for 1941. My guess was perhaps this motor was built before the other models were decided upon. However, auto companies had this sort of thing worked well in advance of production commencing they could market.

Once again, really appreciate the help!

HARRY D. NICHOLSON

US Member - 2 Years

You are just looking at the casting numbers which are not the model or serial numbers. Some casting numbers are used on more than one model. You want the number that is “stamped” into the metal on the front lower edge of the powerhead.

Buccaneer

Replies: 7493
    Topics: 1072

Sure looks like my Champion S1G, other than my “duck hunter’s special paint job”.

DSCN1001-1

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.