Home Forum Ask A Member 1941 Mercury KB-1A Rope Pulley

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I was messing around with this little single cylinder Mercury today,
      fixed up the ignition, put the flywheel back on. There’s a tin spacer
      that sits atop of the flywheel, and the rope plate sits atop the tin spacer.
      It only had one nut that compressed the rope plate, and spacer,
      to hold the flywheel tight.
      The nut doesn’t actually touch the flywheel. I fail how to see that
      a “good thing”.
      I tried putting a nut directly on the flywheel, torqued it down,
      then add the spacer and rope pulley, and add another nut atop
      the rope pulley, but the remaining crankshaft threads were only

enough for about “half” a nut, and the spacer was loose.

I have no parts manual.
      Should there be a steel spacer and a nut, two nuts, or just one nut?
      Thanks.

DSCN6004
      DSCN6006
      DSCN6005

Prepare to be boarded!

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You’d think that the number of times I have had those rope plates off, I would remember something as seemingly obvious as that, but I don’t. If nobody answers before tonight, I will pop one off and check it out for you.

Long live American manufacturing!

Buccaneer
        Participant

Thanks Bill!

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Two observations  from close study of KB-1A Owners Manual reprint…1) it is difficult to make out all but most obvious detail 2) part 117 Flywheel Nut is only and no washer or lock washer for 7/16 is listed.

I have seen rope plates with imprint of an outside tooth star lock washer, but, that may or may not be factory.. The manual does offer the option of returning your motor Mercury dealer where it will be sent to factory service department for a full rebuild to original condition. Wonder if that offer shill holds.

Louis

1940 Mercury K5 twin with Eisemann 72H magneto used an extension PLUS and internal tooth lock washer. This is a relatively original example so it appears Kiekhaefer Corporation did use them if not on all models.

Louis

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by green-thumbs.
            Buccaneer
            Participant

Thanks Louis. It seems like a poor design, and just a plain bad idea
              for the nut not to have direct contact on the flywheel.

I think the KB-3 needs to go back to the factory for that rebuild!!

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Something I found out early in the game is EVERYBODY took their little Merc apart. Few put then back together the same way they found them. Restoration is a two fold problem. first decide what it should look like and second to try to source parts. Sometimes the right stuff is not available. Some projects come to a standstill for lack of critical parts. And  sometimes unanswered questions stall assembly.                                                 Wico 1329B uses the tin spacer, Eisemann 61K does not. Both are correct for KB-1A. The Eisemann 72H does use the tin spacer. My opinion is Kiekhaefer made a well designed and engineered product that was right as it left factory, but suffered at hands of the well meaning, but, , unskilled. I think of a down on its luck little  Merc as an interesting puzzle that can either  become what it  once was or be part of another.

Louis

Buccaneer
                Participant

Louis, the KB-3 has a Wico 1329 magneto, the KB-1A has the 1329B.

I failed to see any difference between the two.

Of course, the KB-3 has a rewind, and the flywheel has a rope pulley
                  bolted onto the flywheel with three bolts, and the big bronze cogged
                  nut for the rewind pawl to engage in.
                  The bronze nut’s threads are worn, and if torqued down, slips.
                  Hence, someone put a jamb nut atop of it.
                  I was trying to think of a way to insert new threads into the big bronze
                  nut…… probably possible, but not sure of the best way.
                  On a good note, the rewind seems to work good.
                  The pull cord handle looks a little ungainly (large), but that’s what
                  came with it.
                  The motor is going to get a “time out” until warmer weather then
                  I’ll paint the tank and rewind, and perhaps de-bug it’s running
                  issues.DSCN6014

Prepare to be boarded!

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well my first grab was a K1. Bad idea. It has an Eiesmann mag with no ring under the rope sheave. The part you wrap the rope around is part of the flywheel. The sheave…which LOOKS like yours, just sits right tight to the flywheel and is held down by a decorative acorn nut, that torques down the flywheel too. I am pretty sure the KDs have that ring like yours. Ran out of time tonight. I will pop a KD3 tomorrow.

Long live American manufacturing!

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There are at least two separate questions here. Rope plate can be stamped aluminum or cast aluminum. there are two versions of each. The two cast plates seem to be associated with the Eisemannn 61 series while the stamped plate seems more common on Wico 1330 series. I will leave off subject for the moment.

Poppet valve fuel mixer is adjusted manually to each spark advance position. Operating a K 1 or KB-1 called for skill and patience to match fuel mix to spark advance which was different at various rpm and load. A true carburetor provided the correct fuel air mixture, A cam on spark advance handle was added to open and close carburetor throttle as spark was advance or retarded. This made outboards user friendly.

Louis

Buccaneer
                      Participant

Bill, thanks for looking at the rope pulley. From what I gather Louis is saying, that mine is put
                        together correctly, with just the one 7/16″ nut on top of the rope plate, compressing down
                        on the big tin spacer. Correct or not, I’m not fond of that design.

Louis, I would have liked to run the KB-3 longer today, but tuning outboards
                        in the winter in MN is problematic, but the poppet valve carb seemed
                        to be “doing it’s thing” okay. Evidently my coil swap has issues.
                        I used an old OMC coil I had, that tested good on the Ohm meter.
                        Perhaps I should have put it on the Steven’s tester.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.