Home Forum Ask A Member 1941 Mercury KB-1A Rope Pulley

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

I put the flywheel back on the KB-1A today and added a steel spacer
      over the crankshaft to get direct contact between the rope pulley
      and flywheel when the nut was tightened.
      It turned out the steel spacer I tried was too high, and the big
      tin spacer did not tighten up.
      I ended up using two brass washers, only about 1/8″ tall, or less,
      and that seem to work just right. I could feel metal to metal contact
      when torqueing down the flywheel, and the tin spacer snugged up plenty.
      Time will tell!

I presume it’s suppose to have an acorn flywheel nut, but I’m fresh out!

DSCN6016
      DSCN6015
      DSCN6017

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My guess would be you have a flywheel that uses either the stamped plate with 3 screws or a cast rope plate. I have been down both roads.

Louis

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Not sure what was original on this motor, but it all seems to work now.
          Probably not too many original “un-molested” little motors this old!

Prepare to be boarded!

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You got my curiosity up, so I took down a Montgomery Ward version of these engines. It has a Wico magneto, an aluminum ring for the rope and a stamped aluminum rope plate. I found a spacer between the plate and flywheel, which measured about 0.170″ thick. Funny thing about it is that it has an ID of abut a half inch and fits loosely on the 7/16″ thread. This one is different than my other MW, that has a poppet valve. It has a carb like yours; and someone, not me, had hand-written “KB1A,” on the little front cover of the carb. It was tagged that I ran it in 1996 and it ran well; although I don’t remember doing it, at this point.

Long live American manufacturing!

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

You got my curiosity up, so I took down a Montgomery Ward version of these engines. It has a Wico magneto, an aluminum ring for the rope and a stamped aluminum rope plate. I found a spacer between the plate and flywheel, which measured about 0.170″ thick. Funny thing about it is that it has an ID of abut a half inch and fits loosely on the 7/16″ thread. This one is different than my other MW, that has a poppet valve. It has a carb like yours; and someone, not me, had hand-written “KB1A,” on the little front cover of the carb. It was tagged that I ran it in 1996 and it ran well; although I don’t remember doing it, at this point.

Bill, Thanks for looking! I’m glad I went with my instinct on this one and added the two brass washers.
              Mine were from a metric kit…… not sure what size ID, but they were a good fit.

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Buccaneer.
            Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.