Home Forum Ask A Member 1941 Mercury KB-3 Spark Plug Cover Confusion

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

My KB-3 serial number is 2295.
      I had wrote down that mine was a 1941.
      It looks like that works out with the list.

Many thanks to Walt Chute for his research on serial numbers!

MSN2

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Buccaneer.
      green-thumbs
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have found several things contribute to good photos. 1st is pose and frame the subject, 2nd  use a camera tripod 3r declutter the background 4th take several photos from slightly different angles. For some reason one view will come out better than the rest, Even my old low end digital camera is capable of crisp clear photos that stand out. Digital camera is one part of digital age I have found to be as much as it promised. Wish I could say same  printers were up to same  level.

Louis

In mid 1950s Mercury converted the old parts identification systems to their new part numbering system. The New Parts List for Mercurys manufactured 1939-1953,.The List is useful in tracking what parts were used on which models and years. The spark plug covers do not appear on list or are not identified as such. However all singles from K1 thru KB-3 use same Pipe, Water Outlet Part # 32-23045. The KD-3-1 and KD-3-2 use Pipe, Water Outlet Assembly 32-23059. This is consistent with PreWar singles having larger diameter Pip, Water Outlet than PostWar singles. Assembly indicates the part is made up from 2 or more pieces which is consistent with the pipe being soldered to a cast elbow.

I believe the PreWar singkes had large diameter Pipe, Water Outlet which would require larger elbow, nut and sleeve. This implies the KB-3 spark plug cover would have to be adapted to allow room. The Post War KD-3 singles have a compact and neat way to route cooling water from water jacket. Reducing cost of material and cost to assemble added up. It may be the PostWar switch to impeller water pump figured in also.

It seems to me KB-3 would have shared spark plug cover with upper cylinder of a twin which had a large opening. An untouched example of a KB-3 would confirm or maybe not.

KD3-1 (Eisemann magneto) or KD3-2 (Bendix magneto) use a Pipe, water outlet assembly that is consistent with observed examples with a loop of copper tube soldered to a cast elbow fitting.

A lot of talk about an obscure detail. but. one that can be confused.

Louis

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by green-thumbs.
        Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I got my cover “buttoned up” today, and even found a new grommet that fit.
          I’m glad I didn’t butcher up the cover trying to get the tell-tale to go
          off to the side of the cover.
          Thanks for everyone setting me straight on that.

DSCN5969

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wizard WD-3  Joe Bruncat found at local flea market, Some TLC a little outside the box thinking and it Starts, Runs and PUMPS!

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.