1941 Mercury KB3 “Paint Scheme” ?

Home Forum Ask A Member 1941 Mercury KB3 “Paint Scheme” ?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 6452
    Topics: 958

When I pulled the rewind off this dirty silver outboard,
    there was “red” paint underneath. I figured it was just
    remnants of another old paint job, but then I seen
    another dirty KB3 online and it’s tank was red.

Would Mercury had been that “Ritzy” back in 1941
    to paint their gas tanks red?

Anyone have any KB3 photos of a properly restored Mercury?

My gas tank
    DSCN5850

“Internet Photo” I found
    KB3-file-photo

Prepare to be boarded!

Attachments:

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 817
    Topics: 59

Where is Louis when we need him?  Mister Green Thumbs we need your expertise!

dale

mercguy

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 31
    Topics: 7

In my opinion, it should be entirely painted “dull aluminum”.  Bob Grubb

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year

It will be a while before it’s ready for any paint, so I’ll let the
    thoughts roll in for a while!
    Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1961
    Topics: 63

Again, maybe I am wrong but; but I would be very, VERY surprised (and thus equally enlightened) if that tank, and especially the rewind starter, are OEM KB3. I have to dig up that old book that AOMCI gave me as a new member, showing all the very early Mercury models, with drawings and lists of features of each. It’s been awhile since I looked at that.

Long live American manufacturing!

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 817
    Topics: 59

Buc, If you haven’t done it yet check out this site.   https://www.oldmercs.com/default.asp    That motor was called The  Torpedo.   Looks like it was all silver.

dale

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year

Bill, the link that Dale posted shows a KB3 with rewind, and sadly, cowlings
    that I don’t have.

Dale, it looks it will end up another “dull” outboard…… dull silver that is!
    Thanks for the link!

KB3-Drawing

Prepare to be boarded!

Attachments:

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 550
    Topics: 41

There are PreWar Mercurys that are strictly according to how they were described in sales material. There are PreWarMercurys that have obvious post factory alterations. There are also PreWar Mercurys that are different from other of same model. A friend had a 1940 Mercury single that was factory in every respect, BUT, it had a Thor type powerhead mounted on an aluminum leg and lower unit.  An example of Waste Not, Want Not at Kiekhaever Corporation. There are also MANY examples of post factory alterations. These are usually not up to factory standard of workmanship.  One example that wen above and beyond was a KD3 gas tank that would never leak again…all the seams were welded .More usual  standard was use of house wire in place of ignition leads.

I can not comment on Red paint. I can comment on Dull Aluminum onf 1940 K4 twin. A barn find grungy motor . With WD40, tooth brush and rag the grunge came away revealing original paint in very good condition.  For the record It was Dull Aluminum with a Flat finish.

Good workmanship at factory makes it stand out against much of post factory work just as a motor that has been appreciated and cared for stands out from one tha ha been thru the mill.

.Louis

Tom T. (whom I greatly respect) more of less told me that prewar Mercuys show many variations due to the hectic conditions  at a new company in turbulent times. In addition, 8 decades of use, neglect, indifferent storage as well as mechanics of various skills and resources leave few hints as what is factory and what is something else. Part of the fun with Old Mercs.

\

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by green-thumbs.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year

Thanks for your thoughts Louis. Interesting about all the variances in
    the motors!

Prepare to be boarded!

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 679
    Topics: 74

Just a side note…. The Wizard branded motors were ( all ??? ) painted gold color.

greenthumbs , comment , please

Joe B

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Bill, the link that Dale posted shows a KB3 with rewind, and sadly, cowlings
    that I don’t have.

Dale, it looks it will end up another “dull” outboard…… dull silver that is!
    Thanks for the link!

KB3-Drawing

I knew I should have looked it up before I opened my big mouth (so-to-speak!) Well, that is good to know! I hadn’t realized they were that sexy, pre-war.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year

Just a side note…. The Wizard branded motors were ( all ??? ) painted gold color.

greenthumbs , comment , please

Joe B

Joe, I hadn’t thought about the possibility of it being
    a Wizard tank, but I guess it wouldn’t have been
    “red” anyway.

Prepare to be boarded!

billw

US Member - 2 Years

I dug up the little AOMCI Mercury book. Yup, there it was, KB3 with cast transom brackets, recoil and shrouds. The funny thing is, though, it says it should have a float type, “automotive” carb. There’s always something, with The Dark Side.

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years

Some PreWar Mercs were wrong ,but, still right because factory altered product on the fly. KB=1A reverted to steel tank. The late KB-1A had a cast iron rope plate. The golden color paint used on tank might be explained by restriction on aluminum both as metal parts and in paint pigment. By mid 1941 Mr. Kiekhaefer was explaining to Mercury dealers how the restrictions ahd forced revision to product line and prospects for 1942 were not good; He urged dealers to stock up while they could. The golden Mercury KB-1A is not unique, but, not common either. PostWar; Wizards were painted a much different shade of gold…on that no one seems to agree on. It has been my experience that each Old Merc has a story to tell to those who will listen.

Louis

=

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years

If convenient , could you take and post photos of front area of lower half of fuel tan and also of area where cowl (carburetor cover) fastens to cylinder, That could give some more information about your KB-3 Thanks Louis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.