Home Forum Ask A Member 1941 Mercury KB3 “Paint Scheme” ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

When I pulled the rewind off this dirty silver outboard,
      there was “red” paint underneath. I figured it was just
      remnants of another old paint job, but then I seen
      another dirty KB3 online and it’s tank was red.

Would Mercury had been that “Ritzy” back in 1941
      to paint their gas tanks red?

Anyone have any KB3 photos of a properly restored Mercury?

My gas tank
      DSCN5850

“Internet Photo” I found
      KB3-file-photo

Prepare to be boarded!

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where is Louis when we need him?  Mister Green Thumbs we need your expertise!

dale

mercguy
        Participant

Lifetime Member

In my opinion, it should be entirely painted “dull aluminum”.  Bob Grubb

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

It will be a while before it’s ready for any paint, so I’ll let the
            thoughts roll in for a while!
            Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Again, maybe I am wrong but; but I would be very, VERY surprised (and thus equally enlightened) if that tank, and especially the rewind starter, are OEM KB3. I have to dig up that old book that AOMCI gave me as a new member, showing all the very early Mercury models, with drawings and lists of features of each. It’s been awhile since I looked at that.

Long live American manufacturing!

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Buc, If you haven’t done it yet check out this site.   https://www.oldmercs.com/default.asp    That motor was called The  Torpedo.   Looks like it was all silver.

dale

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Bill, the link that Dale posted shows a KB3 with rewind, and sadly, cowlings
                  that I don’t have.

Dale, it looks it will end up another “dull” outboard…… dull silver that is!
                  Thanks for the link!

KB3-Drawing

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There are PreWar Mercurys that are strictly according to how they were described in sales material. There are PreWarMercurys that have obvious post factory alterations. There are also PreWar Mercurys that are different from other of same model. A friend had a 1940 Mercury single that was factory in every respect, BUT, it had a Thor type powerhead mounted on an aluminum leg and lower unit.  An example of Waste Not, Want Not at Kiekhaever Corporation. There are also MANY examples of post factory alterations. These are usually not up to factory standard of workmanship.  One example that wen above and beyond was a KD3 gas tank that would never leak again…all the seams were welded .More usual  standard was use of house wire in place of ignition leads.

I can not comment on Red paint. I can comment on Dull Aluminum onf 1940 K4 twin. A barn find grungy motor . With WD40, tooth brush and rag the grunge came away revealing original paint in very good condition.  For the record It was Dull Aluminum with a Flat finish.

Good workmanship at factory makes it stand out against much of post factory work just as a motor that has been appreciated and cared for stands out from one tha ha been thru the mill.

.Louis

Tom T. (whom I greatly respect) more of less told me that prewar Mercuys show many variations due to the hectic conditions  at a new company in turbulent times. In addition, 8 decades of use, neglect, indifferent storage as well as mechanics of various skills and resources leave few hints as what is factory and what is something else. Part of the fun with Old Mercs.

\

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by green-thumbs.
                    Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

Thanks for your thoughts Louis. Interesting about all the variances in
                      the motors!

Prepare to be boarded!

joecb
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just a side note…. The Wizard branded motors were ( all ??? ) painted gold color.

greenthumbs , comment , please

Joe B

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.