Home Forum Ask A Member 1945 evinrude lightfour

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member

I’ve got a couple easy questions. The coils on this motor check out good. Wires are crumbly so I’m gonna put new plug wires and wires to the points/kill switch. First off would it be ok to LIGHTLY coat the coils themselves with epoxy just to give them a little more protection than the electric tape type covering they now have? Also I’ve noticed that one of our mbers (buccaneer) religiously replaces the condensers when he’s getting an old one up and running. Is this due to the fact that if there bad you could destroy an old hard to find coil or just superstition lol. What type/size condenser would this motor take and are they available? When I got this thing it was stuck and I managed to get it freed up pretty easy. The top cylinders seemed low on compression compared to the bottom and I could tell I had a stuck ring on one top side, so I took the cylinder off and freed the ring up and all seemed ok with compression so ive kept going. It’s actually a pretty solid survivor. Thanks for any input

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
      Participant

US Member

I may need a carb diagram for this motor also. I’ve got some parts soaking now (not the rubber ones) are there still rebuild kits for these? Man it’s gummed up!!

It's a jungle out there.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I don’t think I’d use epoxy on the coils. It may cause problems down the road (or lake).
          There is a special product, kind of an electrical varnish that’s an electrical insulator.
          I can’t remember the name now, but it could be used on suspect areas if needed.
          They’re probably okay as is, but a coil tester, using the probe, would tell for sure.

I rather replace antique condensers than presume the old ones don’t have leakage
          or are still within specs. Often when I check the capacitance on the old condensers,
          they read higher than what they are suppose to. The electronic capacitors seem
          to bring new life to old motors.

According to the condenser charts, the Lightfours, depending on year made, use
          either a .1 or .2 mfd condenser.

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

I’m not aware of a good diagram for a Lightfour carb. The Zephyr carb is very similar,
            and there may be better diagrams of those.
            This is the best I have…….
            49_9.7HPpg7

Prepare to be boarded!

tinkerman
            Participant

US Member

Thanks buc. Are there special tools required to check the condensers? I’ve got a needle type circuit/ohms tester. I still can never remember which settings for testing the coils. I usually keep playing with it till I get a reading then check the other one to see if it’s the same. If it is then usually their both ok lol

It's a jungle out there.

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

I have a capacitance meter that only checks the mfd value.
                Mainly I use it for curiosity when working on antiques.
                I don’t bother checking condensers for leakage on my Steven’s tester,
                as that function doesn’t work too good anymore on my machine.
                I usually use an auto function ohm meter, so I don’t have to select a certain
                range, but all the coils I’ve checked are under 10k ohms on the secondary windings.
                I like to install new condensers or capacitors on every motor.

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
                Participant

US Member

Corona Dope might be the best option for coating the coils.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

tinkerman
                  Participant

US Member

ill check it out thanks bob

It's a jungle out there.

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

BTW, That’s the name of the product I was trying to think of!

Prepare to be boarded!

2fast4me
                      Participant

Ok Tinker, the coils check good, i would caution you on removal of that old wire. I ruined a set of Good coils by desoldering the wire. I use a dremel with a cut off wheel to slice the wire off of the terminal, no heat or flexing involved until time to reattach the wire.

2Fast4Me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.