Home Forum Ask A Member 1945 evinrude lightfour

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Ugh oh too late! I think it’s ok though. Good idea for future reference for sure

It's a jungle out there.

dave-bernard
      Participant

why not cut the wire about 1/4in from coil and solder the new wire to the old stub? just asking.

2fast4me
        Participant

THANKS

Done that also Dave… Good point.

2Fast4Me

tinkerman
          Participant

Ok I’ve rewired the mag with new plug wires and secondary wires. Got the carb cleaned up pretty good. Haven’t doped the coils yet. On the carb, there was a black plastic piece with a hexagon lip to accept a nut from the linkage. This was broke. I somewhat rebuilt it with epoxy, we will see if it holds up. So far so good on bonding strength as there is quite a bit of resistance to turn the baffle but it engages properly

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
            Participant

Ok any idea where this bushing goes? Magneto related I’m thinking. Also do the wires from points, condensers, small coil wire and one side of kill switch just wire together in a bundle? I thought I took better pictures

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
              Participant

And you are right buc. I had a 44 model zephyr and the carbs are identical. It even had the same broken black plastic piece lol. But a little more to work with on the zephyr carb so I’m gonna take two and make one. (We won’t talk about the float pin from the lightfour) still hope

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
                Participant

Can someone tell me how to get this black plastic piece out of a lightfour carb? I thought I had a zephyr carb that was identical and had everything ready to bolt back on BOLT HOLE SPACING is the ONLY difference I see. So now trying to take internals out of the zephyr carb and put into the lightfour carb body. At least on this one I had all the broken plastic edges to work with

It's a jungle out there.

Buccaneer
                  Participant

Ok I’ve rewired the mag with new plug wires and secondary wires. Got the carb cleaned up pretty good. Haven’t doped the coils yet. On the carb, there was a black plastic piece with a hexagon lip to accept a nut from the linkage. This was broke. I somewhat rebuilt it with epoxy, we will see if it holds up. So far so good on bonding strength as there is quite a bit of resistance to turn the baffle but it engages properly

It’s common to find broken, or break the end of the bakelite throttle spool,
                    where the hex drive engages. There’s a tricky procedure to remove the throttle
                    spool, to rotate it as it comes out so it will clear the fuel jet inside.
                    There’s a “cartoon” like service manual on the Zephyr carbs. The Lightfour
                    carbs are very similar.
                    I recently removed the throttle spool on mine, with much trouble, as it hadn’t been
                    out in decades, was all junked up with corrosion, dirt, etc. It went in much easier
                    after it was all cleaned!

I found the cartoon maintenance manual, but it was too large to upload.
                    Here’s the procedure to remove the throttle spool.
                    Zephyr-throttle-spool-removal

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Buccaneer.
                    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Buccaneer.
                    tinkerman
                    Participant

I found the cartoon after posting. Now I’ve got it out. Keep on mind when looking at the picture I’ve epoxied a couple pieces of the hex ridge back on already. Would it hurt to fill the end of the bakelite throttle with epoxy and strengthen it more? May add a little weight but I don’t see it would hurt, unless it turns to jelly in a couple months and clogs the whole fuel system up? Any thoughts? Thanks to ole putt putt for helping out!!

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
                      Participant

I found the cartoon after posting. Now I’ve got it out. Keep on mind when looking at the picture I’ve epoxied a couple pieces of the hex ridge back on already. Would it hurt to fill the end of the bakelite throttle with epoxy and strengthen it more? May add a little weight but I don’t see it would hurt, unless it turns to jelly in a couple months and clogs the whole fuel system up? Any thoughts? Thanks to ole putt putt for helping out!!

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.