1945 evinrude lightfour

Home Forum Ask A Member 1945 evinrude lightfour

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 272
    Topics: 46

And you are right buc. I had a 44 model zephyr and the carbs are identical. It even had the same broken black plastic piece lol. But a little more to work with on the zephyr carb so I’m gonna take two and make one. (We won’t talk about the float pin from the lightfour) still hope

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year

Can someone tell me how to get this black plastic piece out of a lightfour carb? I thought I had a zephyr carb that was identical and had everything ready to bolt back on BOLT HOLE SPACING is the ONLY difference I see. So now trying to take internals out of the zephyr carb and put into the lightfour carb body. At least on this one I had all the broken plastic edges to work with

It's a jungle out there.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 5905
    Topics: 906

Ok I’ve rewired the mag with new plug wires and secondary wires. Got the carb cleaned up pretty good. Haven’t doped the coils yet. On the carb, there was a black plastic piece with a hexagon lip to accept a nut from the linkage. This was broke. I somewhat rebuilt it with epoxy, we will see if it holds up. So far so good on bonding strength as there is quite a bit of resistance to turn the baffle but it engages properly

It’s common to find broken, or break the end of the bakelite throttle spool,
    where the hex drive engages. There’s a tricky procedure to remove the throttle
    spool, to rotate it as it comes out so it will clear the fuel jet inside.
    There’s a “cartoon” like service manual on the Zephyr carbs. The Lightfour
    carbs are very similar.
    I recently removed the throttle spool on mine, with much trouble, as it hadn’t been
    out in decades, was all junked up with corrosion, dirt, etc. It went in much easier
    after it was all cleaned!

I found the cartoon maintenance manual, but it was too large to upload.
    Here’s the procedure to remove the throttle spool.
    Zephyr-throttle-spool-removal

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Buccaneer.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Buccaneer.

tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year

I found the cartoon after posting. Now I’ve got it out. Keep on mind when looking at the picture I’ve epoxied a couple pieces of the hex ridge back on already. Would it hurt to fill the end of the bakelite throttle with epoxy and strengthen it more? May add a little weight but I don’t see it would hurt, unless it turns to jelly in a couple months and clogs the whole fuel system up? Any thoughts? Thanks to ole putt putt for helping out!!

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year

I found the cartoon after posting. Now I’ve got it out. Keep on mind when looking at the picture I’ve epoxied a couple pieces of the hex ridge back on already. Would it hurt to fill the end of the bakelite throttle with epoxy and strengthen it more? May add a little weight but I don’t see it would hurt, unless it turns to jelly in a couple months and clogs the whole fuel system up? Any thoughts? Thanks to ole putt putt for helping out!!

It's a jungle out there.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year

As long as the extra epoxy doesn’t interfere with the throttles
    movement with the cover on, I would be it would be a good idea.

Prepare to be boarded!

tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year

Well I got it all back together. I e gotta figure out something on the throttle linkage as the old one is broke, bit shouldn’t be much trouble. How do the plug wires go? I put the 2 wires from rear coil to top cylinders and front coil to the bottom cylinders, sound right?

It's a jungle out there.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year

You’re correct.
    DSCN3905

Prepare to be boarded!

tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year

After about 5 pulls on the rope I took the front cover off and pulled a plug to check for spark. Everything looked great. Put the cover back on, pulled 2 more times and it started and idles like a new one. Runs really smooth. Now my question. It raced up and down using the tiller throttle but it only bogged down a little when I used the spark advance lever on the flywheel. So why does it have both? Need to refill my barrel and tinker a little more, but pleasantly surprised with the results. This was a side project while waiting on parts for my wood boat, which was a side project from refinishing an aluminum Cherokee boat. Glad to say my wood boat is about an hours work from being completely leak free and total repaint. Hopefully back to the aluminum boat before long, more paint and woodwork than motor work…. At least that’s my hopes, but  you never know

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year

Also does anyone have a picture of what the original linkage from the tiller throttle looks like? I tried to salvage mine but not having any luck yet.

It's a jungle out there.

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 710
    Topics: 50

Here is a picture of a Zephyr throttle hook up.  I have 32 pictures of my light four but non of the throttle.   Maybe it will help.

dale

IMG_0010

tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year

That may do it. Very much what I had pictured in my mind for the lightfour. You only have the narrow slot in the front cover to work with

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.