1947 Evinrude 4416

Home Forum Ask A Member 1947 Evinrude 4416

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)

• William MacNeill

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 66
    Topics: 20

I acquired this Evinrude 2 HP outboard about a week ago along with 9 other outboards in a garage sale. It is overall in good condition, intact and has compression of 60 in the cylinder and appears to have good spark. I tried starting it and could not get it to cough so I ended up taking apart the carb and cleaning it. The inside was coated with thick gunk and after a thorough cleaning it is as clean as a whistle and back on the motor. I found the owners manual on this site (thank you for whomever uploaded it) turned the needle out 2 1/2 turns as instructed, primed the carb for 5 seconds, pulled the rope twice and it started for a few seconds and quit. I can get the motor to do this sporadically but not stay running long enough to adjust the carb. It starts strong and quits quickly as it is running out of fuel. If I prime it again it will do the same thing all over again. I believe the problem is with carburetion and not ignition but could be wrong. Has anyone here experienced anything similar with this motor? I like the motor but realized there are not many parts available. If I cannot get it to run it will become a parts motor for sale. Looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

nabmd

Replies: 93
    Topics: 8

I think your needle valve is way too far out. My 4416 runs well with the needle valve only open 1/4 turn from gently closed. I’d suggest starting there and if it doesn’t stay running, then turn another 1/8 turn as needed. I usually pull it over 4-5 times between adjustments.

1 user thanked author for this post.

William MacNeill

I’ll give that a try.  Thanks.

William MacNeill

Tried your setting. Didn’t help. I took the carb apart again just to be sure I didn’t put it back together wrong. It’s pretty simple and was put together correctly. I did notice one thing.  The packing on the needle valve is a 1 piece packing on the original. Part # 171113 I have used packing from other kits that were left over to make the packing nut hold the needle valve. Not sure if this would be the culprit or not. I also notice fuel spills out the top of the carb when you hold the prime after a fuel seconds. Since there are no real seals except the one for the cover and the one for the manifold not sure if that is normal or not. It still sputters and dies out quickly once it fires and does not stay running. Open to all suggestions. Diagram of carb attached. Not sure what I am missing.

William MacNeill

I tried you suggestion nabmd. It would not attempt to start with the needle valve all the way in and out a quarter turn as a starting point. Only would sputter when out 2 turns and then quit. I took the carb apart again to double check it was put back together correctly. It was. Checked the float. It’s working correctly. Only thing I think it could be but doubt it is the packing material for the needle is not what is suggested in the carb breakdown. I used left over packing from other carb kits and not the suggested part # 171113 on the breakdown sheet. Also could be a bad needle valve I suppose but also doubt it. I also notice the carb leaks fuel when you hold the primer. Not sure if this is normal. Never worked on an outboard this old but it is fairly simple in design and not that complicated. I am going to search for a new cover gasket and carb manifold gasket. Only other place it could be leaking is from the brass rod on the float. There is no seal there other than the hole for the rod to rise when the float comes up.

The Boat House

Replies: 4558
    Topics: 111

Tubs

William MacNeill

Thank you.  Did not notice that hole prior.  I will clean it again in the morning and make sure I clean these passage ways. Again thank you.

William MacNeill

Today was a total bust. Cleaned passage hole I initially missed and after putting back together now I can’t get it to fire at all. The carb is clean as a whistle. Should be starting so I decided to pull flywheel and check coil and condenser. Both tested good. Cleaned up the points which were also in good condition and set everything to spec. Checked for spark to the plug with tester and all is firing. Put it all back together and nada no start. I got spark and fuel. What am I missing??

The Boat House

Replies: 4558
    Topics: 111

With the magneto lever pointing to around 4 o’clock –
    Test #1 – Turn off the fuel – close the mixture screw all the way – take out
    the spark plug – ground the plug wire to the motor – pull the motor over
    5 or 6 times – put the spark plug back in – pull the motor over 3 or 4 times.
    If it starts and dies it was flooded.
    If it doesn’t start –
    Test #2 – With the gas still shut off and the mixture screw still closed all the
    way – ground the plug wire to the motor. Take out the spark plug – squirt
    some gas in the cylinder. With the plug wire still grounded to the motor –
    pull it over 5 or 6 times before you put the spark plug back in. Gas still off and
    mixture screw still closed all the way – pull the motor over 3 or 4 times. If it
    starts and dies your not getting gas into the motor.
    If it doesn’t start check compression.
    Tubs

1 user thanked author for this post.

William MacNeill

Thanks again Tubs. I’ll try this today.  Compression is at 60 in the cylinder.  Not sure if that is considered low for this motor. Also the intake manifold gasket for the carb is indented on the covered side as if it was sucked in. Not sure what that is about.  I think the gasket is ok but if I could replace it I would.  Not sure who the manufacturer of the carb is to see if a gasket can be had.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.