Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Evinrude Sportsman 1.5 hp model 4425

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I just got two of these from one of our members at a good price (thanks) .model 4425.
      This being my first real experience with an antique motor I have a few questions ,got several from the 70’s and 80’s, nothing this old though
      Fuel /oil ratio is 24:1 correct?
      Gear oil use OMC multi-vis gear lube ?
      Correct spark plug ?
      Anything else I should know before firing one up?
      Will post a WTB parts manual and service manual in the correct place.thanks, Jim

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

hotrod
      Participant

It looks like they made that model from 1948-1951. The ’50-’51 version may have a different paint scheme – not sure. The fuel lever is ‘ON’ when it is pushed to the rear. Some parts, like the transom bracket, might be the same in the Gale versions (Sea King, Buccaneer, etc). Note the horsepower discrepancy in this 1956 revised bulletin from Evinrudes 3rd edition service manual. I seldom see that model. It’s a cute one.

Attachments:

treeguy
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

They’re great motors, but the impellers (which are made of rubber) are almost impossible to find. One motor requires two impellers. If you’re lucky enough to find them, they’re often very expensive. The last NOS ones I found were selling for $40 a piece.

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

Thank you for the Evinrude specs sheet,even got the starting instuctions! I will print that out. Looks like 24:1 fuel oil ratio (1/3 pint = 5.3 fl oz) 5.3 Oz per gallon

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

I’ll contact the two guys that rebuild impellers. Maybe they do this Evinrude type. Thank you for your reply

Robbie Robertson

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Here is what I have . . . 😀

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

The drive shaft and prop shaft seals are SKF-5523 and SKF-4770

The gear case takes oil . . . 😀

Anonymous

Pugetsounder, if it interests you, PM me with your email address I’ll email you a PDF copy of the article I wrote on this motor, it got published in a past edition of the "Antique Outboarder". Or, if you have back issues of the Outboarder, check the January 2009 edition on page 11.

Hope this helps.

Best,
                    T2

hotrod
                    Participant

Evinrude put out 2 Service Bulletins between 1949-1953 pertaining to the 4425 Sportsman. Evinrude Service Bulletin Number 53 concerned incorrect polarity of the magnet rotor in the magneto. Evinrude Service Bulletin Number 113 concerned an improved reed for the carb. If anyone has these 2 bulletins, I’d like to know what exactly they said.

The 4425 used spark plug Champion J6J or Autolite A3X gapped at .030"
                      Points gap is .020"
                      The float should extend above the float bowl rim by 1/32" when the bowl is full of fuel.
                      Condenser rating was .2 mfd.
                      Flywheel nut torque is 25 ft lb.
                      Note the screen in the carb bowl where the inlet elbow screws in.
                      Low speed needle is normally 3/4 turn out from closed.

The attached lower unit picture shows the sequence of disassembly numerically. Begin with screw number 1 per the instructions,(only if you must).

Attachments:

Anonymous

Actually, this is easier than emailing.. if it works….

Best,
                        T2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.