1948 Evinrude Sportsman 1.5 hp model 4425

Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Evinrude Sportsman 1.5 hp model 4425

Tagged: 

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• PugetSoundBoater

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 900
    Topics: 105

I just got two of these from one of our members at a good price (thanks) .model 4425.
    This being my first real experience with an antique motor I have a few questions ,got several from the 70’s and 80’s, nothing this old though
    Fuel /oil ratio is 24:1 correct?
    Gear oil use OMC multi-vis gear lube ?
    Correct spark plug ?
    Anything else I should know before firing one up?
    Will post a WTB parts manual and service manual in the correct place.thanks, Jim

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

hotrod

Replies: 119
    Topics: 7

It looks like they made that model from 1948-1951. The ’50-’51 version may have a different paint scheme – not sure. The fuel lever is ‘ON’ when it is pushed to the rear. Some parts, like the transom bracket, might be the same in the Gale versions (Sea King, Buccaneer, etc). Note the horsepower discrepancy in this 1956 revised bulletin from Evinrudes 3rd edition service manual. I seldom see that model. It’s a cute one.

Attachments:

treeguy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 39
    Topics: 11

They’re great motors, but the impellers (which are made of rubber) are almost impossible to find. One motor requires two impellers. If you’re lucky enough to find them, they’re often very expensive. The last NOS ones I found were selling for $40 a piece.

PugetSoundBoater

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you for the Evinrude specs sheet,even got the starting instuctions! I will print that out. Looks like 24:1 fuel oil ratio (1/3 pint = 5.3 fl oz) 5.3 Oz per gallon

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater

US Member - 2 Years

I’ll contact the two guys that rebuild impellers. Maybe they do this Evinrude type. Thank you for your reply

Robbie Robertson

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Here is what I have . . . 😀

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

The drive shaft and prop shaft seals are SKF-5523 and SKF-4770

The gear case takes oil . . . 😀

Anonymous

Replies: 251
    Topics: 33

Pugetsounder, if it interests you, PM me with your email address I’ll email you a PDF copy of the article I wrote on this motor, it got published in a past edition of the "Antique Outboarder". Or, if you have back issues of the Outboarder, check the January 2009 edition on page 11.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    T2

hotrod

Replies: 119
    Topics: 7

Evinrude put out 2 Service Bulletins between 1949-1953 pertaining to the 4425 Sportsman. Evinrude Service Bulletin Number 53 concerned incorrect polarity of the magnet rotor in the magneto. Evinrude Service Bulletin Number 113 concerned an improved reed for the carb. If anyone has these 2 bulletins, I’d like to know what exactly they said.

The 4425 used spark plug Champion J6J or Autolite A3X gapped at .030"
    Points gap is .020"
    The float should extend above the float bowl rim by 1/32" when the bowl is full of fuel.
    Condenser rating was .2 mfd.
    Flywheel nut torque is 25 ft lb.
    Note the screen in the carb bowl where the inlet elbow screws in.
    Low speed needle is normally 3/4 turn out from closed.

The attached lower unit picture shows the sequence of disassembly numerically. Begin with screw number 1 per the instructions,(only if you must).

Attachments:

Anonymous

Replies: 251
    Topics: 33

Actually, this is easier than emailing.. if it works….

Best,
    T2

PugetSoundBoater

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks to all of you for the literature and information . I like to get as much info on a specific motor before I get into it. Being my first antique motor and that the design and build are different in some areas than what I’m used to on my OMC 1970’s-1980’s , I’m all set now. New learning curve ahead Thanks, Jim in Shelton,Wa

Robbie Robertson

pjmcardle

Replies: 1
    Topics: 0

I realize this posting is from a few years back, but I found it to be a great amount of information. Since my carb knob was busted, I figured I’d post a link to a site that I uploaded a 3d printable version to. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4547373

Hopefully someone finds this handy in the future as it’s a pain to try and adjust the mixture screw and work the choke by hand. The knob does both at the same time.

IMG_20200719_225138297

IMG_20200719_225145255

IMG_20200719_225150284

IMG_20200719_225052983

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Mumbles.
    Attachments:

PugetSoundBoater

US Member - 2 Years

I have not been on the forums for quite some tim. I see that you responded to the 1.5 hp thread. Thanks for that link!
    PSB

Robbie Robertson

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5171
    Topics: 276

16:1 mix in these motors.

JOHNK

Replies: 1
    Topics: 0

Finding these posts were almost as good as hitting the lottery. I’ve recently been cleaning up and getting the nerve to start my 4425. Someone gave this to my father, who gave it to me. Between the two of us, it has probably been sitting for 35 or more years. I used it about 20 some years ago on a square stern canoe, but that’s been it. The only part that is missing is the carb knob and linkage to choke on carb. Hopefully I can get to the 3d printable knob posted by pjmcardle. I would really like to see some detail of how it is supposed to link up to the carb, if anyone can provide.

Thanks
    John

EV4425

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Mumbles.
    Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.