Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Sea King (gale)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I recently acquired a 1.5 Sea King. It was siezed and carb was dirty. Was able to get it loose and cleaned carb, tank, etc. Runs like a champ…my concern is water pump. Not sure if it is pumping or not. Where will water come out? Is there anywhere to obtain this pump. I only ran motor for about a minute at a time as I’m afraid it might not be drawing water. Thank you!

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Water should spray/slobber/blow out the exhaust relief slots on the back of the swivel bracket. Water pump is a wobbler type, forward of the propeller. The wobbler rotor is almost always swollen. Club member Brian Wilcox makes them. Call 810-794-7685 before 8 pm est please.Or email Baron0418@att.net. please note the b must be a capital.

Anonymous

Thank you for the info. When you say “is almost always swollen”, I assuming that’s a bad thing…I haven’t taken it apart yet, but will today. Thanks again for your help and quick response!!

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Grease leaks out of the lower unit due to poor sealing. Grease attacks the rubber rotor, making it swell up. The rotor should be a snug fit on the brass eccentric on the inside, and there should be a space on one side of the outside. That space moves around from one side to the other as the shaft rotates. That is what makes it pump.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Perhaps this will help

Anonymous

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and you assistance. I have reached out to Brian and will be getting a pump from him. This site and you members are awesome!!

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank & Garry are the greatest!!

olcah
                  Participant

US Member

seconded!

Anonymous

Okay, last two questions…seeing conflicting info concering type of lubricant in lower unit and what fuel to oil mix ratio should be. What Grease should be used in lower drive? And what is fuel mix ratio? Thanks again

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

1. It will not hold today’s fluid gear oils. The old Outboard Motor Gear Grease is no longer made. Most of us use Lubriplate 105 “Motor Assembly Grease” available at NAPA Auto Parts stores, or John Deere “Corn Head Grease” from John Deere dealers.

2. Fuel / oil ratio originally was 16:1, later changed to 24:1. The subject always brings up a howl. Sufficient to say you can’t go wrong with 16:1. That’s 1/2 pint per gallon. Use TC-W3 Outboard oil.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.