Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Zephyr, points

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    7tcu
    Participant

I went ahead and pulled the mag plate and the fiber push rods are in the points. But before I pulled the mag plate I marked the position of the plate to the shaft, but now I can not find my marks. So is there a way to be sure I put the plate back on at the correct position

Mumbles
      Participant

It doesn’t matter which way you install the plate as the ignition timing is controlled by the control lever on the front of it. The further you push it to the port side, the more you are advancing the timing and the faster it will go. Going the other way to starboard retards the timing and if the lever is pushed all the way, it will shut the motor down.

Here’s some NOS Zephyr points showing the short push rod with one end rounded. The rounded end goes towards the points. Since your points arte 70+ years old, they are probably due for some maintenance. Carefully disassembling them one at a time for cleaning and polishing of all the pieces will ensure you always have a complete set for reference when reassembling them.

DSC00144

DSC00147

7tcu
        Participant

Thanks Mumbles, that looks like mine, and after looking at how the mag plate fits on the shaft I think that I do not have to line up anything, just attach the plate and everything should work like it is intenteded too.

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.