Home Forum Ask A Member 1950 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I just got one of these that seems in real good shape. Model 4434. Checked the lower unit ..has brown grease in it, refill with Lubriplate as best I can,by pumping in the top fill hole to expel current grease out the bottom drain hole ?
      Also spark plugs are missing. What do I need? Gonna set it with the plug holes facing up and put a bit of oil and omc engine tuner to lube cylinders before attempting to start.
      Wondering if you someone has a PDF file or can post a copy of parts diagrams ,specifications ,whatver availiable etc.thanks, Jim

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

frankr
      Participant

US Member

It is supposed to be filled with 90 weight oil, not grease. It’s probably leaking, so somebody pumped it full of grease.
        http://www.knology.net/~tombeam/originalliterature.html

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

Frank -thanks for the PDF. After removing the 2 lower unit plugs and discovered the grease,no water ran out and the grease didn’t look water contaminated. I’m gonna try deluting the grease with thin oil and run it and drain- refill- repeat. Don’t want to dissaemble the lower unit if I don’t have to. Good idea?
          Missing the spark plugs,what # to use? Thanks, jim

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

Goman
          Participant

I’ve added a couple of washers pertaining to the clutch rod to keep water out of the gear casing. Haven’t tried it yet… Should work?

oltimer
            Participant

I have 2 of these very fast engines, and both I went through completely. You do need a new seal for the bottom end were the clutch rod goes through to keep water out. I have seen as many others on here that worked on them, with rusted out and broken bottom clutch spring.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Actually… I am no expert but I have taken apart the LU on my 5.5hp to change the shaft seal only. just keep the part layout in your head .
                you will be able to clear all the grease and refill. should it leak again either change the oil mid summer & pre-winter or take it apart again and change all the seals

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Guys,
                  Something that is 60 or so years old needs a complete tear down to inspect everything I fear!!

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

dont say that 😯

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

PugetSoundBoater
                    Participant

πŸ˜€

quote Jeff Register:

Guys,
                      Something that is 60 or so years old needs a complete tear down to inspect everything I fear!!

Jeff is correct , and I will get inside the lower unit. I also carry a 2hp backup motor and oars. πŸ™‚

Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
                      Participant

After letting some engine tuner and LPS sit in the cylinders in an upright position for a couple days,I went to do a compression test and found that my recoil starter is missing some parts. From the 1953 parts list I need 3 equalizer springs pn 202155
                        Equalizer cup 202114
                        Starter friction spring 302222
                        Looks like the friction spring has a broken end but has a few revolutions around the hub .
                        I could send a photo of what I’ve got to someones email but don’t know how to post photos here yet
                        Also are the lower unit seals still availiable:
                        Clutch rod upper seal 202612
                        Clutch rod lower seal 202590
                        Driveshaft seal 202274
                        Propshaft seal 202686
                        I did do a couple pulls with a short rope for a compression test -first 2 pulls over 65. That’s good news.
                        Thanks ,Jim jimfryk.2@gmail.com.

Robbie Robertson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.