Home Forum Ask A Member 1952- 58 Johnson or Evinrude 15/18 best years?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    1946zephyr
    Participant

Speaking of 18’s. Does anyone need a crank and rod set?

Mumbles
      Participant

Mercs from the fifties are few and far between out here and are more of a rarity. Since we are surrounded by salt water, they dissolved years ago allowing the more hardy Johnson and Evinrude motors to climb to the top of the food chain. ☺

bbstacker1
        Participant

US Member

Zeph pm sent

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have been away for awhile, trying to catch up…
            PSB- That 56 FD that I think you posted pictures of, is beautiful! I would certainly latch onto that one if it is still available, regardless of the possible weak lower seal condition!

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

We did go and buy this 1956 Johnson FD-10S . It is in amazingly good shape.Very little use. Came with a tank and lines. I don’t think it will take much to get this running other than the usual maintenance.Thanks for all of your help.

Attachments:

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks great! Congratulations. It should he a winner. 😀
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant
                  quote Fisherman6:

Looks great! Congratulations. It should he a winner. 😀
                  -Ben

yeah i think we got a good one.As I said this is for a friend of mine ,he assigned me the task of finding the best motor for the price ,in good condition with good cosmetics, a bit of patina is ok with him. this should clean up nicely with a minimal amount of work and the normal maintenance and the lower crank seal. compression is 90 -95 ,hasn’t run in at least 16 years.Thanks, guys Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

1946zephyr
                  Participant

I have seen several of those 15’s in nice shape, over the years. They seem to have been treated good. 🙂

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member

That’s a nice 15 you have there! Those are nice running motors, and will idle down well. For me the 57 or 58, 18 Johnson or Evinrude is my favorite. Good power and they will idle way down. Speaking of the 10 hp [50’s] motor’s, the 1955 10 hp Johnson is another favorite of mine. Here’s a pic of my son’s 18, the same model as the one I had when I was 15 yrs. old. These have to be one of the best motors that OMC ever built.

Attachments:

hdted
                      Participant

I bought a 1958 Evinrude 18 a while back. Haven’t had time to get it going yet, but should be a screamer. Compression is 140 top and bottom. That’s the highest compression I’ve ever seen on one. Wonder what the compression was on a new one?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 52 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.