Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 CD-11 Convert from 2 line to 1 line fuel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gary Pasquale
    Participant

Can anyone help me understand how or if I can convert my Johnson CD-11 from the pressurized tank two line version to the newer Mikuni fuel pump single line? I have found some info here but nothing detailed enough to know where to start or what to order.
      Thank you in advance for your help.

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hi Gary,

The procedure on the 5.5 is a bit different from the larger ones because the smaller motor did not use intake covers that could easily be drilled and tapped for a pulse source. It will be interesting to see what members here say about “their” way to accomplish this conversion.
        There are various Youtube videos on the subject….some more reliable than others. Here’s one you can view to get an idea of what’s involved.
        https://youtu.be/FtG4M7ye1N8

Chuck

Gary Pasquale
        Participant

OMG TY TY TY TY I will use the second option with the vacuum caps….I cannot thank you enough!

benj
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I converted my 59 5.5 to fuel pump using the vacuum cap method and it works great! Save the 2 line parts in case you happen across a 2 line tank in the future.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Did mine by blocking the right side channel with JB weld and removing the small valve. easy as pie and still works great after a few years

while you are pulling the back plate behind the carb (be carefull not to damage the gasket) take a minute to clean out the purge valve

my neighbor purchased it and simply loves the 5.5hp for trolling and back-up to his Honda 40hp

purge

PURGE-valve-info-1

purge

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by crosbyman.
              • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.
              crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see process description fyi remove the valve and decrudd and blow air to clear it

purge-description

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

Gary Pasquale
                Participant

Ty, I don’t think I’ll use JB, as someone may want to put it back to original in the future. I’m thinking maybeeeee using the “Spaghetti” gearcase gasket and some sealer. Now that I am thinking about it more I’m not sure I like the vacuum cap idea.

Gary Pasquale
                  Participant

TY Advice has been accepted πŸ™‚

bobw
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve done the conversion on 3 motors with the vacuum cap method and not had any issues with it. Real easy to revert back to 2 line system in the future if someone wants to.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

β€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Mumbles
                      Participant

Filling in the channel with 3M 847 or anything will block off the small bleed hole at the bottom of the channel which is the puddle drain hole. With the drain hole blocked, that corresponding cylinder will eventually be flooded causing the motor to run rough. Best to think this through a bit more.

I’m just wondering if a reed plate from a ’60 or later 5.5 or 6 horse motor couldn’t be substituted for the ’54 plate. These motors had fuel pumps and didn’t have the two large holes in them for the check valve. Since they didn’t, one hole would have to be drilled in it to get the pulses and the puddle drains would still work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.