Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 evinrude big twin 25hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Murphn8r
    Participant

I’m looking for as much info on this engine that I can get. I have been doing a lot of searching and I seem to find info on the 10 or 40hp more than the 25hp.

Also does anyone know the factory choke solenoid resistance?

Tom
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

What information are you looking for, specifically?  AOMCI members have access to service manuals.

There was a series of posts a while ago, someone was trying to use a 6 volt choke solenoid on a 12 volt system.  To do that, they needed a resistor to drop the 12V to 6V.  The choke solenoid was measured to be 0.8 to 0.9 ohms.  So a 1 ohm resistor would do the trick, but it has to handle the current.

In case that’s what you’re thinking, DigiKey has a 1 ohm 100 Watt resistor for a little north of $10.

T

Murphn8r
        Participant

What information are you looking for, specifically?  AOMCI members have access to service manuals.

There was a series of posts a while ago, someone was trying to use a 6 volt choke solenoid on a 12 volt system.  To do that, they needed a resistor to drop the 12V to 6V.  The choke solenoid was measured to be 0.8 to 0.9 ohms.  So a 1 ohm resistor would do the trick, but it has to handle the current.

In case that’s what you’re thinking, DigiKey has a 1 ohm 100 Watt resistor for a little north of $10.

T

I do plan on becoming a member here in a couple days but the other half has me on a strict budget because I like to buy old boats, motors, cars etc without telling her. I just bring it home lol. anyway im looking for basic info on it, how do I know if its actually a 6v system or 12v system, history on it, compatability on other years. This is my first 50s era engine and man am im in love with the styling. its going to look great on my 1966 winner. Ill post pictures today when I get off work. ill try and search more for the choke info

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Murphn8r.
          Murphn8r
          Participant

S/N is 25916-11562

frankr
            Participant

6V starters had an inspection band around the bottom end.  12V, not.  A 12V starter can be installed, with the proper mounting bracket (different thru-bolt spacing)

Murphn8r
              Participant

6V starters had an inspection band around the bottom end.  12V, not.  A 12V starter can be installed, with the proper mounting bracket (different thru-bolt spacing)

the inspection band im assuming is where I can pull the back off and inspect the brushes? I can take a pic on my lunch break. also is there a way to know if the choke solenoid is 6 or 12v

frankr
                Participant

A 6V starter (1955).  I suppose the 6-12V solenoids have different resistances, but I don’t know what they are.

4.-Electric-Starter-Junction-Box-and-Switches

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Murphn8r
                  Participant

perfect thank you. it looks like i have the 6v starter so I probably have a 6v choke solenoid. ill do some searching about that and see if i can find the post that tom was talking about.(which i think i did).

JZago
                    Participant

T

Tom,

Tell me more about access to service manuals.  Where can I find them?

Murphn8r
                      Participant

Do these old engines have a reverse lockdown? My 89 Johnson has a lever to move to lock it down for reverse so it doesn’t hop.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.