Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Mercury Mark 50 who has one ,is this one

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    scot-marechaux
    Participant

US Member

boat is a 1959 Fiber-flite. Made by Multi Plastics of Fort Worth Texas. photos here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotmarechaux/albums/72157676774785387

living well is the best revenge.

scot-marechaux
      Participant

US Member

Just starting to get in to this boat and motor. it is a Mark 50 electric start with the wrong decals on it.

scot-marechaux
        Participant

US Member

yes this is my motor. I will show some photos. mine has been repainted from the original green.

scot-marechaux
          Participant

US Member

mine has electric start and I will get some photos up

scot-marechaux
            Participant

US Member

I will get photos up.

scot-marechaux
              Participant

US Member

Fiber-flite 1959

opposedtwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That serial number on the plate makes it a mark 50 but not a mark 50E. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t an electric model from the factory, it just says Mercury’s records say it was a mark 50.

Can you get us some more pictures of the electric start components like the wiring harness from controls to the motor, the starter itself (swing or bendix), etc? That would help. Someone may have gone to alot of trouble to turn it into an electric start but more pictures of those parts would help determine how “factory” everything appears.

It has the very rare electric choke/start version of the Kaminc controls!

Great overall pictures in your link, by the way!

scot-marechaux
                  Participant

US Member

Mark 50 update. i took the motor off the boat and is in the garage waiting to have wires replaced that have cracked rubber. sphere are more photos of the motors innards.
                    photos here https://flic.kr/s/aHskP3esNg

Ed@deathwish-outboards
                    Participant

US Member

That is a nice setup and I suspect very original. Those are the correct controls and wiring harness and TWO of the two hose fuel tanks. The only thing I am not sure of is the bracket where the steering hooks up. VERY NICE

Ed@deathwish-outboards
                      Participant

US Member

I dug around and found some carbs. The MK 50 used a fuel bowl and carbs without internal filters. On the manual start model the bowl mounted to the lower left of the carbs. On the electric start it mounted just above the magneto. The early MK 55 had filters on the top of the carbs and no fuel bowl.

If you got the model with electric start and choke then you had a starter with a mounting bracket on the side for the choke solenoid. If I remember right the early MK 55 had the same starter as the MK 50 but without the bracket and the choke solenoid had been relocated. I researched this motor and hunted parts for two years then had to put it on hold. After looking I didn’t realize I had as many parts as I do.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.