Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 Johnson RDE 6 Volt Starter Part#277311

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Bowlin
    Participant

Hello New to the site and just looking for some information on the 6 Volt starting system and trying to locate a starter. I know you can convert it to 12 volt as has been done with my 1956 Johnson 30 HP, and that may be the way I end up going. in the meantime want to see if the 6 Volt Starter is available thanks for any information.

-Andrew

Mumbles
      Participant

The original part number for the six volt Gale, Johnson, and Evinrude starter is 277311 but I don’t know if it has been superceded or not. Doing a Google search for that number might help.

’57 and later twelve volt starters have a different spacing between the mounting bolts than the six volt starters do so a matching bracket must be used with it. And being a Johnson, the bracket must also have the nib on it to mount the hood.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
        Andrew Bowlin
        Participant

Mumbles, yeah I could not find a replacement or new part number for the 277311. I know with the Johnson the big issue is the hood mount, when doing the conversion. I will keep doing my research or maybe just do a conversion if I purchase the motor. Thank you for the quick reply and info.

-Andrew

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

FYI: If you decide to convert to 12 volts, you can run 12 volts on a 6 volt starter if you find one. Since it’s a complex inductance when it’s spinning, it will not draw twice the current, as Ohms law does not apply, and it will spin much faster giving you fast starts. You will need a 12 volt choke solenoid or a resistor in series with it. Also need a 12 volt starter solenoid – available from Sierra.

Dave

Boonie
            Participant

Canada Member

Just picked up a RJE-18 yesterday. Haven’t had much of a chance to look at it but it is missing the starter. Is it 6 or 12 volt. Just starting to research it. Any info is helpful.

DC3B7EFE-5D4D-4D28-862F-400B8087B2F4

Mumbles
              Participant

Your ’56 Javelin would use a six volt system. Twelve volt wasn’t used until ’57.

What are you going to do with the Javelin? There’s lots of potential sitting there!

1956-Johnson-Javelin-Ad

olcah
                Participant

US Member

Boonie,

https://aomci.org/forums/topic/big-twin-correct-starter-identification/

This link may be of help concerning starters and brackets.

Boonie
                  Participant

Canada Member

Well sir, my first step is to locate a starter for it.
                    I have two other Johnson’s to finish first.
                    A QD-12 and a RD-10. Then would like to restore the Javelin. Currently looking for a flywheel for the RD 10. I’ll try to post a picture of my finished motors tomorrow.

Boonie
                    Participant

Canada Member

QD 12

CA6F9B8A-D0C4-4D69-AF67-1764CE26C881

Boonie
                      Participant

Canada Member

My triplets

7312B488-0F84-4540-87AB-2146C5993D17

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.